Shimano XT tubeless wheel valve issue

Tom Barton
Tom Barton Posts: 516
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
A long winded title I know.

I have the all mountain XT tubeless wheels (M775 i think) that came with my bike. Initially all good - very reliable. Had a tyre tear about a year ago and had to pull the valve out to fit a tube to get me home. I accidently broke the valve core in the process and had to get a new one. My LBS after a bit of faff managed to find a mavic one that 'fitted' of sorts but the rear tyre has never held pressure for more than a day or two since.

This appears to be getting worse and I'm slowly losing pressure within hours now - a nuisance on longer rides. Rim is fine, tyres I've used are fine, I'm convinced its the valve and despite some extra 'ghetto' attempts to seal the valve, the issue persists.

My answer seems to be to get a new valve but shimano ones seem very hard to find unless i ebay them from the USA. Why is this? And my question - has anyone else had luck with other makes of valve as some online questions/answers I have read when googling seem to have a mixed bag of results...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• An inner tube would solve it.
  • Why not try using the valve stem cut out from an old inner tube?

If you leave a bit of a shoulder at the base and tighten down the lock nut, it will deform into the curve of the rim. If it doesn't, then take it out and trim it slightly for a better fit.
  • Why does every, single, tubeless query have to be answered by some clever dick with a comment about using tubes? No other query gets answered with completely irrelevant answers every time! If you can't be helpful (or at least relevant) don't bother posting.

I use Stan's valves and they seem to work ok, but you do have to tighten them up quite a lot to get them to seal.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • In fact if you don't run tubeless and possibly have something to contribute why would you even enter the topic?

Rant over.
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You tell them. Why would anyone post anything on an internet forum that isn't exactly on topic, totally useful and very helpful.

Has anyone mentioned yet that tubes work quite well?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lol - thanks for the defense shackster - I daresay I sense (a fairly innocent on this occasion) troll!

I'm going to have a crack with the stans, it seems to have a fairly universal shape! Heres hoping!

(And to feed the troll just a little more --- because when tubeless do work, current issues not withstanding, I go for many months on end without flats - not my experiance of tubes for many years unless using silly heavy dh tubes!)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's a valid option. Have trouble with tubeless, then run tubed. Just because it is plainly obvious and most tubeless riders carry one as backup, doesn't make it trolling. Shakster is more trying to get the rise, ie trolling
  • cooldad
    Yup, ranty troll is obvious.
    As a matter of interest I haven't had a puncture for over two years. (August 2010 - I was doing The Wall at Afan.)
    Standard tubes, light tyres and run fairly soft (25/30 psi)
    I have been through a few tubes and a puncture kit though - sorting out other peoples punctures.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just goes to show it's not what you ride, it's what you ride through.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    To the OP are you using any sealant? If not might help to try a little, so it can find and plug any little leaks you have.

Stan's valves have removable cores make sure these are done up correctly and not leaking.

Other than that try submerging the wheel and inflated tyre in a bath full of water to double check the leak is where you think it is.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    It should be easy to get the correct Shimano valve. The part number is 4CK 9803 and they are in stock at Madison so any decent bike shop can order one for you.

There you go, an actual informative answer on Bikeradar. What is the world coming to?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Have you tried using a tube?
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Absolutely not a troll and I didn't mean to come across like that, I had had a couple of glasses of wine that evening though :D

Tubes are less hassle. There, I've said it. However, my tubeless set up is also pretty hassle free (Nobby Nics on Stan's Arch EX) and had no trouble getting it set up in the first place - no issues with the tyre not sealing etc - it was literally like pumping up a tube.

Having said that.....you do need to top up the sealant more often than every six months as I found out on Sunday :oops:
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • i had thew american classic valves on my AC rims, look very pretty (annodized red) but quuite fragile, have put in a wtb valve, look very much like the stans valves, (probably are!)
    i do carry a spare valve and valve core in my spares bag, only once have i had to pop a tube in whilst out due to valve issues, had i topped up the stans before i left like i meant too, it would have been fine!! i always carry tubes with me, mainly as i ride in a club with members of varying abilities and technical knowledge, quite often they dont have the spares! but then, i also have spare bolts, washers, tools etc. so an extra tubes no bother!!

have just made my own tubeless fluid after forking out for stans stuff for past 18 months, cost half of what a litre of stans is and has made 3 times as much!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • cooldad
    have just made my own tubeless fluid
    I hate to tell you that it's not tubeless fluid and too much will make you blind, and hair grow on your hands.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Hmmmmn, I've already got half hairy hands and wear glasses, maybe its too late!!! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I find tubes a good option.
  • Bennett, have you given a proper tubeless set up a Good go??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!