Coast to Coast

wacka
wacka Posts: 169
edited October 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi

In the latest edition of CyclingPlus there is an article on the Coast to Coast ride. After reading I am inspired to have a go next year. The question I have is , if I leave my car around the start point, is there any good accommodation around the finish point and I'll have to get the train back to the start and my car? Has anyone been in this situation and what is a good plan?

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    park at the end so you can jump straight in when you get back. which route are you doing? i've done whitehaven to tynemouth a couple of times, there's plenty of parking at tynemouth and you can get the metro to newcastle then a train to whitehaven.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • We left car in Whitehaven, found a cheap deal at the Premier Inn in Sunderland near the finish point and booked ourselves in for last night. Then got Metro to Newcastle and train to Whitehaven via Carlisle. Then drove back to pick up all the bikes as we had tandems. But you could probably get your bikes on train with some research/booking.
    Bored of routine? Embrace adventure. Everyday. http://familyadventureproject.org
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    We've taken bikes on trains and metros both times without problems.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • My wife and I did this in the summer from Whitehaven to Tynemouth. Drove up to Newcastle and left car there, got the train to Carlisle with our bikes and changed there for another train to Whitehaven. Only a couple of bikes allowed per train (or part of train depending on how many carriages) but Northern Rail staff where helpful and we had no probs. Easy and cheap way to do it, or so we found.
  • how much time you got Wacka ?-- a few years ago(many) a group of us parked up n whitehaven--rode over to newcastle, then did a route back via kielder, on to langholm and back, its now called the reivers route, took about six days-- well worth it, otherwise you have to use either two vehicles or public transport-- nnowt wrong with that .

Tis always good to get back under yer own steam....
  • Best way if unable to get dropped off is to take the bike bus. They will take you and your bike to Whitehaven then there is no need to have to return back. I believe its Stanley coaches who run the serice. Good luck