Super Record brifters

Cycloslalomeur
Cycloslalomeur Posts: 349
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
So I'm mulling going for a Shimergo setup. Sorry if any groupset fundamentalists vomited over this disclosure... :wink:

Can anybody beat this price? http://www.velo-motion.com/product_info ... -2011.html

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Seems a very good price - but make sure they come with the cable set. A lot of packaged Campag levers come with cables - but these might be OEM ones without them. Campag ergos (brifters... please!) need narrower gear outers than Shimano - and if you might need a set, they're about £25 new.
  • Thanks for the advice, must ask about the cables and outers. And sorry about flaunting my ignorance in calling Ergopowers brifters...
  • g00se
    He he.... Just leg pulling...

Check out shinybikes website, they have super record ergos for £244 and they're UK based.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    So does the new 11 speed pull the same as shimano 9 or something?

Also, is super-record really necessary? Chorus is still blingy and according to those that service/repair campag stuff, chorus and record will generally have parts available far longer than lower down the range so you're still getting something generally serviceable.

I'm a dedicated shimergo user, but 10 speed shifters and 8 speed drivetrain.
  • g00se
    Yes - according to this, 11 speed levers will work with Shimano 9 - or even 10 if you use a hubbub connection.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    It seems to me a very good way to spend a lot of money to end up with an inferior setup... it might work, but it will never perform well.
    If you want those ergos, then get an 11 speed Athena cassette and a Veloce 2011 or 2012 derailleur... including the freehub swap, it's probably less than £ 200 altogether.

I do run a Shimergo setup out of necessity, 9 speed Campag with Shiamno cassette, it does work, but it's not flawless or friction free, I would not recommend it as an "upgrade", rather the opposite
    left the forum March 2023
  • graham_g
    It seems to me a very good way to spend a lot of money to end up with an inferior setup... it might work, but it will never perform well.
    If you want those ergos, then get an 11 speed Athena cassette and a Veloce 2011 or 2012 derailleur... including the freehub swap, it's probably less than £ 200 altogether.

I do run a Shimergo setup out of necessity, 9 speed Campag with Shiamno cassette, it does work, but it's not flawless or friction free, I would not recommend it as an "upgrade", rather the opposite

Trust me, it does work absolutely flawlessly if you have the correct components - this isn't just a 'pick at random and chuck it all together' exercise. What he's suggesting is running 11 spd campag shifters that pull exactly the same amount of cable as 9spd shimano - you need to use shimano rear mech/cassette. Front mech would be campag due to the different cable pull ratio on shimano front mechs.
    The benefits include wider range of wheel/hub choice (or the only option for tourers wanting mtb hubs), cheaper consumables (compare shimano cassette prices to campag), non-indexed front mech for trimming (fantastic on a triple set up), use of more durable 8/9 speed components as well as mtb components.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Graham G wrote:

Trust me, it does work absolutely flawlessly if you have the correct components - this isn't just a 'pick at random and chuck it all together' exercise. What he's suggesting is running 11 spd campag shifters that pull exactly the same amount of cable as 9spd shimano - you need to use shimano rear mech/cassette. Front mech would be campag due to the different cable pull ratio on shimano front mechs.
    The benefits include wider range of wheel/hub choice (or the only option for tourers wanting mtb hubs), cheaper consumables (compare shimano cassette prices to campag), non-indexed front mech for trimming (fantastic on a triple set up), use of more durable 8/9 speed components as well as mtb components.

OK, but you're still left with two un-used clicks... not a major issue, but annoying as an "upgrade"
  • graham_g
    Graham G wrote:

OK, but you're still left with two un-used clicks... not a major issue, but annoying as an "upgrade"

I put them at the dusty end of the cassette where they go largely unnoticed :mrgreen:
  • Graham you summed up the benefits nicely. I plan to run 10 or nine cogs, the former with Shiftmate (my best wheels come with the tall splines). Only last summer I picked up a pile of Dura-Ace 7800 cassettes at Bike24 for less than 50 euros a pop. Try doing that in the Campagnolo universe...

Are you sure Campagnolo shifters won't live happily with a Shimano front mech though?

There's absolutely no need for me to go for Super Record. The fact of the matter is that I'm a Mamil with more money than sense. So there. Having said that, Super Record Ergopowers at Velo Motion are cheaper than Dura-Ace 7900 STIs. They just came back to me to say that they do come with cables and outers.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Campag 10s ergo lever,
    Campag rear mech,
    Shimano 9/10s hub,
    Shimano 9s cassette.

Works perfectly.
    (I use a Campag triple front mech too).
  • ugo.santalucia
    De Sisti wrote:
    Campag 10s ergo lever,
    Campag rear mech,
    Shimano 9/10s hub,
    Shimano 9s cassette.

Works perfectly.

I am not surprised... especially with Shimano 9 speed chains, as Campg are a bit wider and rub against the sprockets
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    De Sisti wrote:
    Campag 10s ergo lever,
    Campag rear mech,
    Shimano 9/10s hub,
    Shimano 9s cassette.

Works perfectly.

I am not surprised... especially with Shimano 9 speed chains, as Campg are a bit wider and rub against the sprockets

I use KMC chains.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Graham you summed up the benefits nicely. I plan to run 10 or nine cogs, the former with Shiftmate (my best wheels come with the tall splines). Only last summer I picked up a pile of Dura-Ace 7800 cassettes at Bike24 for less than 50 euros a pop. Try doing that in the Campagnolo universe...

Are you sure Campagnolo shifters won't live happily with a Shimano front mech though?

There's absolutely no need for me to go for Super Record. The fact of the matter is that I'm a Mamil with more money than sense. So there. Having said that, Super Record Ergopowers at Velo Motion are cheaper than Dura-Ace 7900 STIs. They just came back to me to say that they do come with cables and outers.

i use 10 speed campag veloces with shiftmate on shimano cassette and mechs - the campag shifters work perfectly with the ultegra front mech.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    129154890249002102.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Sorry to bring an old thread back from the thread. Just an update: I've finally crossed the streams with a pair of Chorus Ergopowers (11-speed) and they work flawlessly with Dura-Ace 7800 (10 cogs). All I did was wrap the cable around the hooked washer and file the end of the hook a wee bit to stop it from interfering with the parallelogram. Heartily recommended.