Winter XC tires.

FODCADEMON
FODCADEMON Posts: 207
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
It's simple. What are the best, light, wet weather, xc tires I can buy?
Just ride.

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    FODCADEMON wrote:
    It's simple.
    Allow me to contend that it's not, quite . . .
    FODCADEMON wrote:
    What are the best, light, wet weather, xc tires I can buy?
    It depends what you plan to ride on. S-Works Fast Trak LK are doing a great job for me, I ride mainly on exposed chalk and gravelly tracks, with the occasional stretch of hard-packed mud punctuated with roots. But they don't like thick, squidgy mud much. Other people will, I'm sure, come up with other tyres that are far better on other surfaces
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    i use nobby nic evo s in 2.25 all year round and find them great on gravel, mud, roots, stone and the rivers i ended up riding through in the storm last week in llandegla ! Light too at 500 grams but not cheap think i paid about £40 each
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    tarbot18 wrote:
    i use nobby nic evo s in 2.25 all year round and find them great on gravel, mud, roots, stone and the rivers

+1
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I've just bought a bike fitted with Rocket Ron EVO 2.1 127epi.
    Will these cover most offroad conditions, or should I go narrower for really wet/ gloopy stuff?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1 wrote:
    I've just bought a bike fitted with Rocket Ron EVO 2.1 127epi.
    Will these cover most offroad conditions, or should I go narrower for really wet/ gloopy stuff?

Ive heard bad things about the rons on anything other than hardpack or light mud/loose stuff. Id consider a complete change of tyre if you plan going "gloopy". You'd need one of the Xc race guys to confirm this though, as id be interested to know myself.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I was using 2.2 Nobby Nic evos on both ends.

I swapped to a 60a Minion DHF/DHR combo in 2.4 for winter. The NNs went back on in spring and came straight back off again as I think the Minions grip and roll better. Better lean angle, too.

Most of my riding is Warwickshire, Peaks, or Cannock. But I have no bike skills!!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    tioga red pheonix, flyweight and grippy

impossible to find now :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro...clogg a bit if it's really gloop (when I swap on my Fire Mud)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fire XC or if you want a bit more volume then Bontrager XR4
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Peronsally I would take the XR4 in 2.2. If you want a NNic, then I'd consider a Moutain King II as well, slightly heavier, but a nearly identical tread pattern and the Black Chilli is much better than the Schwalbe compounds IMHO.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Clank wrote:
    I was using 2.2 Nobby Nic evos on both ends.

I swapped to a 60a Minion DHF/DHR combo in 2.4 for winter. The NNs went back on in spring and came straight back off again as I think the Minions grip and roll better. Better lean angle, too.

Most of my riding is Warwickshire, Peaks, or Cannock. But I have no bike skills!!

But they weigh as much as a medium sized planet.
  • The Rookie
    Warwickshire - check, Cannock - check, XC Pro's outscore my daughters NN's in my opinion by a reasonable margin, and they way a lot less than having Mars and Jupiter as your 2 rollers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Am i the only person who thinks the Panracers are the ugliest tyres ever created? The Susan Boyles of the MTB world - perform really well, but make you wretch to look at them :P
  • The Rookie
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, besides after seeing my mug in a mirror every morning........

Seriously, they are black and round and grip, who gives a Monkeys what they look like!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Bontrager MudX or whatever they are called now.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    XR4....Mike Vaughan in Kenilworth or the Trek Store in Cov, £30 from MV's, or off the interwebby
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I personally hate Nobby Nics.. Slippy as hell when things get wet..

Maxxis Highrollers....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • benpinnick
    XR4....Mike Vaughan in Kenilworth or the Trek Store in Cov, £30 from MV's, or off the interwebby

£20 off of All terrain Cycles (+ 5 postage ;( )
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    Fire XC pro on rear, and Rubber queen BC on front!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    benpinnick wrote:

ATC ones are non TLR, and only 2.35, which is huge, like most 2.5's, the 2.2's are wire only. New trad pattern makes a better rear than front.

Really rate them though, shifted from Bonty ACX to XR4's TLR and loving them, fast rolling and amazingly grippy in all conditions, still got an older 2.35 on the front, but gone 2.2 on the rear
  • benpinnick
    eddyesi wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

ATC ones are non TLR, and only 2.35, which is huge, like most 2.5's, the 2.2's are wire only. New trad pattern makes a better rear than front.

Really rate them though, shifted from Bonty ACX to XR4's TLR and loving them, fast rolling and amazingly grippy in all conditions, still got an older 2.35 on the front, but gone 2.2 on the rear

Must have been popular... They had all flavours in last month.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Just bought a set of the XR4 Team Issue 2.35" from ATC for my upcoming AM build. Sounds like an ideal tyre for 'round these parts and £20 each seemed like a bargain :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8