I want a Gilet, but which one????

sanchez89
sanchez89 Posts: 567
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a Gilet for this current season, when its not raining, too cold for just a jersey but with a jacket on get too hot.

soo decided a Gilet is what i need.

narrowed down to 2:

Louis Garneau Vent 2

or

Gore Countdown AS

anyone with experience of either would like feedback, they both review really well, just price (and brand snobbery) difference.
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:
M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.

Comments

• I have had this for the last 3 years. Its fantastic, keeps you warm in winter and it's really windproof. Its not restricting at all and mud just get sponged off. Highly recommended.
    http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/product/32489 ... _Camo_Vest
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I have the one shaggy recommends and an Endura Laser for lighter stuff. The Laser is excellent as a stowable gilet for changeable-weather days. The Gore is more the kind of thing you put on before going out because you know it's going to be shoot.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    or go for an Endura Convert jacket and take the sleeves off when you need to?
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Either of them two will be fine, the garneau one hsa pockets which are useful if you're just wearing it as an extra layer and wont be taking it off mid ride.

I've got the cheapest Altura one which is also great and less than £30
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    sanchez89 wrote:
    Looking for a Gilet for this current season, when its not raining, too cold for just a jersey but with a jacket on get too hot.

soo decided a Gilet is what i need.

narrowed down to 2:

Louis Garneau Vent 2

or

Gore Countdown AS

anyone with experience of either would like feedback, they both review really well, just price (and brand snobbery) difference.

I have the Louis Garneau and really lke it nice close fit too
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • sanchez89
    or go for an Endura Convert jacket and take the sleeves off when you need to?

already got one of these, but its like wearing a bin bag at times. perfect for when it hammering down while im out, but dont really want to spend any great length of time in it when its not.
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • sanchez89
    edited October 2012
    Stu Coops wrote:
    I have the Louis Garneau and really lke it nice close fit too

excellent matey. how do you find it breathabiltiy wise. i no if i go for the Gore the material will be top draw, windproof and breathable.

but if the LG has virtually the same quality then it will sway my decision. (and i wont be as gutted if i fall off and trash it)
    Clank wrote:
  • sanchez89
    ohhh hai double post
    Clank wrote:
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I would thoroughly recommend the Gore Phantom II. It's is actually a wind proof jacket, but the arms zip off to make a gilet. Best of both worlds. It's a great jacket
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • For something a little different http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sugoi-versa-con ... ack%2fGrey
    Really light, decent shower protection and doesnt get you too hot! (i sweat A LOT). Arms are held on with magnets which sounds stupid but it really works. Easily tuck away into the rear pocket with plenty of room left. Nice looking close fit when on too!