EASYJET ?!?! no clothing!!!

noaddedsugar
noaddedsugar Posts: 16
edited October 2012 in Road general
Hi All

I'm about to fly with my bike on Easyjet, and just checked their rules which is likely to scupper my plans of packing a load of stuff in with it!? (yea i know i should have checked when booked etc... :)

Bicycles are permitted for carriage provided that specific criteria is met:
- No other items can be carried in the bicycle box/bag (i.e. clothing)

I know this is easyjet just some common sense must show through, Ie helmets, shoes, bike clothing, ...wetsuit maybe!?

Any one flown with them recently? Had any issue / got stopped?
Wilier Triestina
Merida Matts 1500 lite

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    as long as the box is not greater than 20 - 25 kgs (limits may vary) there should be no issue with manual handling (its airport baggage handling rules)

I always go klm as they don't quibble, or seem to think excess baggage is pure profit.....
  • Chill-ax and fill your bike box with as much stuff to the 23kg limit; I flew to Toulouse earlier this year with Easyjet, and did just this, no problem. No one asked or checked what was in the bike box.

Some people will advocate that pedals, shoes, saddle and your helmet (and/or any other personal stuff) is carried separately incase the worst should happen and they lose your bike; the theory being that you can fit these items to a hire bike. They lost our bikes, but thankfully on the way home, and we did get them back, eventually. Itemise everything, should the worst happen.

Nick
  • As it turns out Easyjet has 32kg which is one of the highest! So no probs there, but it seems they wont let you put anything else in there so you could get close, "no other items, ie clothing".
    Wilier Triestina
    Merida Matts 1500 lite
  • n1ckster wrote:
    Chill-ax and fill your bike box with as much stuff to the 23kg limit; I flew to Toulouse earlier this year with Easyjet, and did just this, no problem. No one asked or checked what was in the bike box.

Some people will advocate that pedals, shoes, saddle and your helmet (and/or any other personal stuff) is carried separately incase the worst should happen and they lose your bike; the theory being that you can fit these items to a hire bike. They lost our bikes, but thankfully on the way home, and we did get them back, eventually. Itemise everything, should the worst happen.

Nick

Ah wicked thanks for that! I was erring on the side of go with it, but sometimes you get stung and it hurts !!
    Must have been gutting losing the bikes, what had you planned?
    Wilier Triestina
    Merida Matts 1500 lite
  • I've put my boxed bike on Easyjet twice now and both times filled the box with tools and clothing with no issues. You should be fine as long as you don't go overweight.

But slight word of warning. Both times my bike was slightly damaged. Bent spokes and front derailleur. Luckily there was a LBS in the countries we went to at the start of our trip
  • ive filled mine every time no probs. dont worry makes for extra padding too.
  • How would they know what's in the bag? EasyJet don't run airport security and would certainly have no grounds for searching your baggage, anymore than a bus driver would. What's their charge for a bike? About £40 per leg? They should be grateful anyone's prepared to pay the extortionate fees for cycles. I looked at taking mine to Nice last winter but it would have cost over double what I was paying to fly myself there, and I'm a LOT heavier. In the end neither me nor the bike went by air so it's their loss.
  • i paid £25 each way i think. Not too bad really. Monarch are the same and ryan air 90 quid each way but then nobody flys with them anymore surely?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had a problem. Pad it well - take off the rear mech and tape it between the chain stays.

Add clothing but no gas canisters etc.
  • n1ckster wrote:
    Chill-ax and fill your bike box with as much stuff to the 23kg limit; I flew to Toulouse earlier this year with Easyjet, and did just this, no problem. No one asked or checked what was in the bike box.

Nick

Ah wicked thanks for that! I was erring on the side of go with it, but sometimes you get stung and it hurts !!
    Must have been gutting losing the bikes, what had you planned?

On our way back from Toulouse having been in the Pyrenees for a week. For some reason our 2 bikes weren't loaded on to our plane. We were reunited about 10 days later.

Alls well that ends well. Enjoy your trip.

Nick
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So what's the difference between 'clothing' and 'packing materials'?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I always stick as much "hard" stuff in the box with it and put most of my clothes in the hand luggage as lycra rolls up small. By hard stuff I mean shoes, helmet, waterproofs, pads (MTB), gloves etc

Tip - Get a bike box from a shop (it ll be free) and slice and dice it so it fits in the bike bag, then put your bike in the box. It makes the bag much much stronger and more resistant to squashing and banging etc. Use the wheels (in bags) as pading for the frame)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • flew to Zurich at beginning of September on EasyJet from Luton.. on way out had bike, pedals, helmet, shoes and track pump in bike box... on the way home had all the above plus my dirty laundry and a set of tyres and bouquet of flowers that I won in the race I was out there doing..
  • beetle1
    beetle1 Posts: 189
    i paid £25 each way i think. Not too bad really. Monarch are the same and ryan air 90 quid each way but then nobody flys with them anymore surely?

Its actually £50 each way jeff:-

Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bikes* (bikes have a weight limit of 30 kilos), scooters, fencing equipment, pole vaults, javelin, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of a discounted online fee of £50/€50 per item, per one way flight. If the item is purchased at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre a higher fee of £60/€60 per item/per one way flight will apply). Any sporting and musical item weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo.

* Bicycles - MUST be contained in a protective box or bag in order to be accepted for travel.
    Electric bicycles cannot be carried
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    cougie wrote:
    Never had a problem. Pad it well - take off the rear mech and tape it between the chain stays.

Add clothing but no gas canisters etc.
    gas cannisters are Ok but no more than 50g
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    the big con is that the weight of any checked luggage AND the bike COMBINED must not exceed 32kg with Easyjet - so they make you pay for another checked bag but that doesnt even allow you any additional weight!!!!

Flown several times with them and have never had the bags checked for additional stuff but I guess you take your chances that they might one day.

Careful with CO2 as well - went to France with them 2 weeks ago and we were allowed to fly 2 cannisters out of the UK but in France they made us bin them, and the x-rays of the bike boxes show the cannisters clearly, so they have different rules in different countries.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    CO2 is goverened by international legislation - pm me i'll dig out the links
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2