Pat McQuaid

CYCLESPORT1
CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Simples :D

Comments

• He'll be difficult to shift. Look at Sepp Blatter- FIFA make the UCI look like the WI and Sepp seems to be the teflon Don of football. The same will be true of Fat Pat.
  • Ages I should think, The evidence will come, they will review with comments, will accept or not.

Everyone up in arms with demands for his head, and a life of pain and poverty for his family and anyone hes ever spoken to sound deranged.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Ages I should think, The evidence will come, they will review with comments, will accept or not.

Everyone up in arms with demands for his head, and a life of pain and poverty for his family and anyone hes ever spoken to sound deranged.

Is he your Dad?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    There's still no viable alternative. I'm sure under Tchmil it would be better - By better I mean there will be gangster looking guys and hot girls hanging around.

USADA send their case, accuses Pat of corruption. They go to CAS - it could go on and on and on.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Ages I should think, The evidence will come, they will review with comments, will accept or not.

Is he your Dad?
    :D

No I am pat. (Q Spartacus themed posts)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    He'll be hanging by his finger nails for years and patting backs ready for next year's election.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    The old boys network will keep him in place.

As has been posted on another forum, how are the people at the top of the UCI elected??? Who keeps re electing them?

Who is it in British Cycling that helps to keep Pat in his job and when will they step forward and give there reasons for doing so?

I think it is about time the cycling press got there teeth into this.
  • mike6 wrote:
    The old boys network will keep him in place.

As has been posted on another forum, how are the people at the top of the UCI elected??? Who keeps re electing them?

Who is it in British Cycling that helps to keep Pat in his job and when will they step forward and give there reasons for doing so?

I think it is about time the cycling press got there teeth into this.

Nobody. BC doesn't have a vote in the matter. inrng did a good piece on this recently:

http://inrng.com/2012/09/how-to-replace-pat-mcquaid/
  • iainf72
    Yup,and Pat has a lot of support outside of Europe
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yup,and Pat has a lot of support outside of Europe

Pffft.

Like that should matter!

This is a European sport.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Professional cycling is a predominantly European sport, but competitive cycling is global, hence the UCI's remit.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    aspender wrote:

Nobody. BC doesn't have a vote in the matter. inrng did a good piece on this recently:
    Just as well then, because did you see BC president Brian Cookson holding the Fat Paddy's hand at the East London Velodrome last month.

You can now see why the Fat Controller has manipulated the World Cup out of the season and Demoted the European season to one of several others.
    This makes the ASO a reduced player as the Fat Cuntroller gains more TV rights elsewhere with his Global Cycling Racing Company. (Look who does the Beijing TV)

I read a year or so ago a link to an Irish forum, where they also bang on about the Fat man.
    A new member came on to defend his Uncle and say what a good chappie he is,
    This nephew stated he was part of the organisation for the Tour of Qatar and that there were other world races being negotiated.

So you see it is too late for Europe to do anything as the Fat Controller (and his family) are way ahead with their Strategy.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • iainf72
    You know the Tour of Qatar is an ASO race, right?

http://www.letour.fr/indexTQA_us.html
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Why do people have to resort to insults when discussing Pat McQuaid? It says far more about you than it does about him.

And he's devoted a huge amount of his life to cycling, which deserves respect.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    andyp wrote:
    Why do people have to resort to insults when discussing Pat McQuaid? It says far more about you than it does about him.

Respect?

vCFDn.gif
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    andyp wrote:

McQuaid has undermined USADA by putting spin on why documents have taken a while that intimates their case is on fragile ground. He's also inferred they want the case file, so can say 'this isn't the case file' when they get the report. Fact is, he and the UCI are lining up a situation where they basically will want it perceived that when they get the information its their decision to ban or not and hence it always was their decision. All this is pretty disgusting really.

I don't mind people slating McQuaid when he comes out with such stuff.

He publicly said nonchalantly that the UCI weren't interested in the USADA case, then just days after saying that he tried to wrangle jurisdiction of it. He knew damn well they were interested... and we know why the UCI are interested too, and its sod all to do with jurisdiction... getting jurisdiction would just be getting control of verdicts. That's my opinion anyway.

...and this is just the recent stuff in the last couple of months...

McQuaid says the UCI has done all it can to get a clean sport. That is not true, well, if that's his opinion its opinion, but its not true to anyone with common sense.

He doesn't deserve any respect by default through having worked in cycling for years, you earn respect through your actions, he hasn't earned a lot in many people's eyes, and a lot of people are way past that now and for good reason. Of course he's not the 'whole UCI' but in the position he is in he will be in the line of fire.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    iainf72 wrote:
    There's still no viable alternative. I'm sure under Tchmil it would be better - By better I mean there will be gangster looking guys and hot girls hanging around.

USADA send their case, accuses Pat of corruption. They go to CAS - it could go on and on and on.

I think you and I may have a similar opinion on this - and may be in the minority in all the hysteria.

Pat's not great, but it's a horrible job. And the current viable alternatives aren't great. In fact they're basically horrible.

It's politics. No-one comes out clean.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp wrote:

Because hes a fat slimey arrogant corrupt wa*ker.
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pat's not great, but it's a horrible job. And the current viable alternatives aren't great. In fact they're basically horrible.

Here's a question : If Pat is replaced, what should the replacement be doing differently? Pat's not a great communicator, granted.

So if you looked at it from a macro level, remembering there is finite money, what should change?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Here's a question : If Pat is replaced, what should the replacement be doing differently? Pat's not a great communicator, granted.

So if you looked at it from a macro level, remembering there is finite money, what should change?

Good question Iain.

1 More naked cycling rallies
    2 More drugs psychedelic variety obviously
    3 I think i would like mondays off
    4 more love, less angry posters
    5 free tubes
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Pat not a great communicator?

Maybe that's it, but the UCI (and IOC) look increasingly like politicians in a failing Arab (or post Glasnost, Eastern European) dictatorship...irrelevant, out of touch, sclerotic, inept and, maybe corrupt. Sports politics tends to make the real stuff look good. They just haven't kept up is all.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I think one of the posters on another forum hit the nail on the head.

The Pro Tour should break away from the numpties at the UCI and go there own way. Then they could promote the series properly and work towards a clean, exciting sport without all the politics and empire building.
  • rundle
    rundle Posts: 52
    andyp wrote:

You do know that McQuaid is actually banned personally by the IOC for racing under a phone name in South Africa during Apartheid while SA was declared off-limits.

Breaks the rules, lifetime ban and now in charge of the hen house??

Respect? I think not.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    iainf72 wrote:

Not a huge amount.

Though it'd be quite nice to have someone at the top who is not implicated in a cover-up of drug positives, someone who would accept that the UCI were complicit in the utter farce that was cycling in the 80s and 90s, would learn from their mistakes and would be vaguely believable when they said that they were striving for a cleaner peloton.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    rundle wrote:

You do know that McQuaid is actually banned personally by the IOC for racing under a phone name in South Africa during Apartheid while SA was declared off-limits.

Breaks the rules, lifetime ban and now in charge of the hen house??

Respect? I think not.

I'm not standing up for McQ, but he did the African thing with Sean Kelly didn't he? Kelly gets respect.

This argument for lack of respect is weak. There are better reasons: His about face on many things, his lack of knowledge of UCI rules, his views on women's racing etc.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    South Africa : http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/12/1/184 ... uth-africa

Kelly was 19, still working part-time as a labourer on his parents farm.
    McQuaid was older and knew what he was doing

Ironic that someone who makes such a big thing of rolling-out the sport to other non-European nations should be an Apartheid-blockade breaker...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    andyp wrote:

Because hes a fat slimey arrogant corrupt wa*ker.

Sums it up really. He's a combination of Sepp Blatter and Bernie Ecclestone.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • iainf72
    Do we all accept he's got a very difficult job?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    yes and not one i would care to do. i just get the impression that he isnt very good at it ... but what do i know