Cut-throat shaving

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited August 2019 in Commuting chat
Warrants its own thread actually, so following on from a suggestion in the snippy snip thread, how many of us shave like a proper man with exposed steel blades wafting across the facial areas?

I took it up recently after hearing myself mutter 'how ***ing much?' at being required to pay twenty odd quid for a packet of multi-blade blades that last a week or so. So far so good give or take the odd wound.

Post your tips, suggestions for gear and pictures of your worst attempts at a clean shave done with Men's Shaving Equipment.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited October 2012
    honest question

is a cut throat a closer shave than say Gillete "mega awesome turbo super charged power M9 xxxTs*" blades

i dont see the appeal of a cut throat except in a danger value of, i may nick my skin with gilette, but i may lose an ear with the cut throat

* or what ever they are now called
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited October 2012
    I'm a double-edge razor man, myself. Fifty Derby Extra blades for a fiver and a proper razor to house them in (Muhle R89 - http://connaughtshaving.com/mur89.html). No nicks, no cuts and a very good shave indeed.

My barber uses a single-edge blade, but I suspect they're just for show-offs, or people shaving other people.

Edit: Yes, they give a much better shave, and will irritate your skin a lot less. They talk a load or tripe on the adverts in order to sell you the latest and greatest. £20 for 8 blades? You must be mad!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    I got my Dad one of the starter kits from here for a present last year. I don't know how much he's used it but he certainly seemed happy. He always used to use a safety razor when I was growing up.

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/en/

I tried a really cheap safety razor (basic wilkinson sword plastic one, but takes proper razor blades) recently and it was okay enough that I'm tempted to get a proper one, or a cut throat one.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • A plastic razor will flex all over the place when you use it - causing nicks and scrapes. The difference between those and a proper razor is astounding. Nobody I know who switched has ever thought of going back.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm a double-edge razor man, myself. Fifty Derby Extra blades for a fiver and a proper razor to house them in (Muhle R89 - http://connaughtshaving.com/mur89.html). No nicks, no cuts and a very good shave indeed.

My barber uses a single-edge blade, but I suspect they're just for show-offs, or people shaving other people.

Edit: Yes, they give a much better shave, and will irritate your skin a lot less. They talk a load or tripe on the adverts in order to sell you the latest and greatest. £20 for 8 blades? You must be mad!

Is there ANYTHING that can be bought that we don't have a complete snob on this forum for?

Honestly - you lot.... coffee, shaving, watches, bloody MOISTURISER.

I'm going to go and buy some white sliced bread from Aldi.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    Here is the shaverader equivalent if anyone wants lots of reading...

http://www.theshaveden.com/
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Man up you wimps. Panga and some engine oil for lubrication.

F888932C-F766-40A1-B05D-4E22D05EBAAA-947-00000096C70D8352.jpg
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Is there ANYTHING that can be bought that we don't have a complete snob on this forum for?

Saves me money so I can spend more on bikes, dunnit? :mrgreen:
  • CiB
    Is there ANYTHING that can be bought that we don't have a complete snob on this forum for?
    It's a man-toy, something to spend dosh on that normal people wouldn't, like CX bikes maybe. :wink:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003

Try one of the loaves from here and you'll never look at another slice of bread the same way
  • CiB
    edited October 2012
    £20 for 8 blades? You must be mad!
    That's what I thought so went out and spent over £30 on the kit to get started. It's an investment; pay up front, nothing much to pay until the blades & soap run out. As if... :roll:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use a Merkur Futur with Derby blades from Turkey. Taylor of Old Bond St Avocado cream and a badger brush.

Also, an Alum Block is a must.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I'm a double-edge razor man, myself. Fifty Derby Extra blades for a fiver and a proper razor to house them in (Muhle R89 - http://connaughtshaving.com/mur89.html). No nicks, no cuts and a very good shave indeed.

Yeah, but double-edge shaving isn't snobbery: it's cheaper and better*; snobbery is about things that are more expensive and (possibly) better.

Having said that, the Muhle R89 is basically the same as the Edwin Jagger DE89 that I have but more expensive, so you may have a point... :)

_

* I took up DE shaving about a year ago after find Mach3 to be too expensive while still irritating the neck a bit. I've found DE shaving to take a little longer but it is hugely cheaper and gives much less irritation. Shaving with a cut-throat? Now that, I suspect, is snobbery!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Asprilla wrote:
    I use a Merkur Futur with Derby blades from Turkey. Taylor of Old Bond St Avocado cream and a badger brush.

Also, an Alum Block is a must.

Have you been rooting around in Clarissa Dickson Wright's kitchen scraps bin?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CiB wrote:
    Warrants its own thread actually, so following on from a suggestion in the snippy snip thread, how many of us shave like a proper man with exposed steel blades wafting across the facial areas?

I said to my Dad that I wanted a cut throat razor for my 30th Birthday - a proper nice one like because I get razor bumps and a sharp quality blade

He laughed said he wouldn't trust me with a blade...

:(
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    me and the wife share these

th?id=i.5005673410461961&pid=1.9
  • clarkey cat
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    CiB wrote:

I said to my Dad that I wanted a cut throat razor for my 30th Birthday - a proper nice one like because I get razor bumps and a sharp quality blade

He laughed said he wouldn't trust me with a blade...

:(

you're allowed the buy your own now you are 30. Just take some ID.
  • clarkey cat

don't be chippy, Keiran. I've not gone down this route myself but razor blades are freaking expensive.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    As a ladee I'll just mention, shaving with a cut throat is sexier.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Excellent timing - I was just wondering whether there was a better (more traditional/stylish/cheaper...) shaving solution than ridiculously multi-bladed Gillette contraptions. I'm not sure I'm ready to risk a cutthroat razor in my usual morning rush, but a safety razor was on the cards. I'll have a gander at some of those suggestions, any more recommendations welcome.

I switched to old-skool shaving soap and badger-bristle brush years ago. And if I catch the badger that sh@t on my verandah last night, I'll be able to make a few more brushes :twisted:
    Misguided Idealist
  • clarkey cat
    Suzyb - shaving yourself?
  • suzyb wrote:

Tell that to my wife. She was 'doing her bikini area' and was left with a nasty gash
    :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • CiB
    suzyb wrote:
    There are too many ways to interpret this post. :)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    suzyb wrote:
    Dammit! Beaten to the post by quicker and smuttier minds!
  • Underscore wrote:
    Having said that, the Muhle R89 is basically the same as the Edwin Jagger DE89 that I have but more expensive, so you may have a point... :)

:D I prefer the knurled handle of mine, and when I bought it, a couple of years ago, the Edwin Jagger one was by far the more expensive. Don't know why that's changed. Either way, very nice razor.
  • I've got a safety razor and one of these:
    DOVO_shavette.jpg

Might get a proper straight razor.
  • craprider
    craprider Posts: 111
    suzyb wrote:

I read all the way through undecided (thought of getting a blade for ages)

then in this simple sentence my mind has been made up.....
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201

Pleb. ;)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Suzyb - shaving yourself?
    It's winter now. No more shaving till next year for me :wink:
  • CiB
    Next year? Anyone else have a mental image of a burst sofa?

:shock: