Best Place to finish C2C

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited October 2012 in Tour & expedition
we were wondering what the best palce was to finish the C2C. Is it Tynemouth or Sunderland? I think one has a C2C marker?

Also, I've started to map the ride on RidWithGPS and it seems to have us following a train track or cycle path just before Newcastle and upto the Metro Centre. Does anyone know if that is correct? It seems to follow the main roads. Don't want to get 100 miles in and then find its wrong, as I 've been known to map roads that are dirt tracks and not suitable for 23c tyres!

Help!
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Having done both i would recommend Sunderland. The drag out to Tynemouth from Newcastle was tiresome after a long ride (esp if you then have to get back to Newcastle centre - its 10 miles each way along not very appealing roads).

The official Sustrans route for both finishes involves quite a lot of cinder track.
  • Hmm, that makes me wonder about the thin lines I've been able to map on here - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1648001 I think it might be better to stick to the normal roads then? Any advice?
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    ian_s wrote:
    Having done both i would recommend Sunderland. The drag out to Tynemouth from Newcastle was tiresome after a long ride (esp if you then have to get back to Newcastle centre - its 10 miles each way along not very appealing roads).

The official Sustrans route for both finishes involves quite a lot of cinder track.
    +1 on that. I really did not like that long tedious ride to Tynemouth. Nothing nice about it at all.
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Hmm, that makes me wonder about the thin lines I've been able to map on here - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1648001 I think it might be better to stick to the normal roads then? Any advice?

You would be ok with say 25mm Marathons. The bit from about 155 to 190 on your map is mainly cycletrack.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Sunderland would be my choice mainly because my brother-in-law lives about 3 miles away. He would be my overnight stop.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Sunderland is a good bet - I did it last year and ended there. you follow sustrans route (7 I think?) and you come down the Waskerley way which is a long cinder track that then joins a disused railway line, that is tarmaced. I did it on a road bike and it was all good. the sustrans route avoids the roundabouts and A road into Sunderland and drops you at the finish on the seafront not far from the staduim of light
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight