Dioralyte use!!!

knack-knees
knack-knees Posts: 56
When doing few rides over 60 miles I've gotten back gotten back to find that food and sporty water (sis stuff) doesn't stop me from feeling there's something lacking.

I've found dioralyte fixes me very quickly and don't feel the need for the sporty water or lots of food. (used to use it when travelling in Africa).

So is this healthy, wrong, weird or ?

Is it to do with salts? Is there a replacement.

Ps - I don't have the runs ;)

Comments

• Does your SIS stuff contain electrolytes?
  • It's decathlon go fuel hydrate that claims to have electrolytes. I drink 800ml of it on a 60 mile ride.
  • i vaguely recall reading that boxers/mma fighters use it after a weight cut, and apparently its the best think for sorting out a hangover. Im sure its fine, what does it taste like btw.
  • It's decathlon go fuel hydrate that claims to have electrolytes. I drink 800ml of it on a 60 mile ride.
    And what types of food are you eating on return?
  • 72 mile ride today, 2* 700 ml bottles of High 5, and a big coffee, I don't think 800ml is enough fluid for that length of ride. In warmer conditions I'm using 700 ml an hour.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Probably cheaper than overpriced 'sports' electrolyte products. Not sure if it's healthy though.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • On my return I eat maybe a sandwich, maybe a cup of tea. Not very technical I know but because the last 3 miles I'm just turning a wheel slowly to warm down, so don't get back parched. If its a nonstop ride I'll eat a banana/gel, whichever I can find the quickest - both work and avoid the sugar shakes, gel's faster acting.

I sometimes stop halfway and have a tea and flapjack etc.

Modern dioralyte is better than old... But downside is stops the toilet visit for a coupe of days.
  • I won't give you the background, but a few years ago I put Diaralite in a Camelback so I didn't miss a ride whilst having an upset tummy. The unexpected by-product was that it also cured my cramp issue which I had at the time. Effectively it replaces the low salt levels which go with dehydration. Of course it won't know if your dehydrated because of a 30 mile stint or an hour on the toilet, so it does the job anyway. Cheap too and the Blackcurrant flavour is quite tasty.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dioralyte is just glucose and salts, so it shouldn't stop you going to the toilet :shock:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    keef66 wrote:
    Dioralyte is just glucose and salts, so it shouldn't stop you going to the toilet :shock:

I think proper hydration is supposed to help stop you going when you've got the runs... but its not going to block you up or anything.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Its because if you have the runs your electrolytes become depleted, if you drink plain water you flush out more whilst replacing nothing, hence the use of dioralyte (its potassium and sodium you need to have in balance). It has no effect on the duration of your "runs", and certainly will not constipate anyone.
  • Must've been in my head then.

I'll carry on taking it then. Never thought about putting it in my cycle drink.