zee derailleur clutch fail

goytregrit
goytregrit Posts: 80
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Had a new zee rear fitted just a few weeks ago. Very impressive bit of kit, riding this weekend though and noticed a bit of chain rattle, so stopped and found that the clutch part has failed. I know its a warranty claim etc, but has anyone had any similar fails or know of anything I could perhps be looking out for on it which I might be able to put it right. No signs of any damage on derailleur so I don't believe its taken any type of impact.

Comments

• how did it fail?

Pics?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Presumably it's just stopped acting as a damper, so pics will show nothing at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Correct, it basically just stopped working on the clutch part. I was about 20k into a 25k trail All the other workings are fine. General appearance of e derailleur is that it looks fine. The switch lever still throws but doesn't lock the damper part, so its working fine as a normal derailleur only.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Have you opened it and adjusted it? It does lose tension after a while, and is designed to be easily opened and retensioned. Just take the cover off the clutch part and you'll see a little bolt that squeezes the ring together when the clutch is engaged. That's the one to tighten a little (note: there's no built-in tool, like on the XTR mechs. You'll have to use a pretty small spanner).

If all else fails, you'll probably see if there's something broken.
  • warpcow wrote:
    Have you opened it and adjusted it? It does lose tension after a while, and is designed to be easily opened and retensioned. Just take the cover off the clutch part and you'll see a little bolt that squeezes the ring together when the clutch is engaged. That's the one to tighten a little (note: there's no built-in tool, like on the XTR mechs. You'll have to use a pretty small spanner).

If all else fails, you'll probably see if there's something broken.

bike shop said same, although I mailed Shimano tech and they said doing that will void warranty. Im tempted to give it a go though cos of the FAFF if I take I back to LBS. they have offered to fit me a new one an then send other one back to see if Shimno consider it to be a genuine warranty claim.
    Thanks for help on this b the way.