Hybrid Boardman Team or Pro??

sss
sss Posts: 25
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I was looking to buy a Giant Defy 1 but my lbs Julies Cycles have told me the next delivery for one in small will be February 2013!

Halfords are doing a deal, £70 off when spending £700 or more and I'll also be able to receive 10% off and maybe Quidco.

I was wondering if it's worth spending the extra on the Boardman Pro?

My commute will be three miles to work and three miles back and 14 miles on the weekends 7 miles there and 7 miles back.

Any advice???

Comments

• Save your money and go with the team. Good bike and fine for your needs
    Join British Cycling too for £24 and download a voucher for a further 10% off
    You can use the voucher in conjunction with the current Halfords offer too
    Add quidco into the equation and you'll save a fair chunk of money
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Save your money and go with the team. Good bike and fine for your needs
    Join British Cycling too for £24 and download a voucher for a further 10% off
    You can use the voucher in conjunction with the current Halfords offer too
    Add quidco into the equation and you'll save a fair chunk of money

Are you sure about this last bit?

The way I see it, you HAVE to pay for the bike online to get the WEB EXCLUSIVE £70 off, then presumably you collect the bike from store.
    Since you have already paid for it I don't see how you then get them to give you that extra BC 10% off.
    Or has this worked for you??
  • sss
    I was just going to ask the same question!

I was all ready to order and reserve online but it's asking me to pay?? I thought it would be a case of reserving online, go to the store with the voucher and the discount is taken off?
  • Well I reserved online and paid on collection (June )
    Total price including a set of mudguards with all the discounts was approx £636 from memory.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Well I reserved online and paid on collection (June )
    Total price including a set of mudguards with all the discounts was approx £636 from memory.

Ok, sounds positive. Take it you had to submit card details when you 'reserved' the bike online?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You only need to reserve online to get the discount. You dont pay until you get to the store though. But the reservation is clear that the price you see on the web is what the price will be in store when you collect. Take your British Cycling card into the store and they will knock a further 10% off what you pay.

Also - unless it has stopped, use the TForL12 code on BC website to get the membership for half price, pay by direct debit for a further 10% off and the BC membership only cost me £10.80. AND you may be able to get £10 off quidco if you go through there too!!!
  • sturmey wrote:
    Well I reserved online and paid on collection (June )

Ok, sounds positive. Take it you had to submit card details when you 'reserved' the bike online?

Just gone thru the motions
    You only pay online if you have it delivered to a store
    Find a store that has it in stock and you reserve and pay on collection
    From memory my membership card hadn't arrived by the time I collected, but I showed them a copy of my confirmation email with membership number on and the 10% discount was accepted. Sods law, the card arrived next day.
  • sss
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated.

Well I've checked all the Halfords stores up to 20 miles away and they all say 'free delivery to store - pay online'
    So I'm guessing I can't reserve it unless I pay first. That's disappointing.