What would I need to take to my 1st cyclocross event?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2012 in Amateur race
I'n going to be doing this in October/November onwards (once I get my arse in gear and buy my bike!) and wondered what other stuff (apart from bike, cycling clothes, change of clothes for afterwards, food and drink) would I need to take along with me?

I'm guessing you get a lot more punctures doing Cross than road riding so more tubes etc would be a good idea? Bit stumped as to what else I might need...

Comments

• dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Just take what you would on a road ride (ie all the spares you think you need) Take a track pump as well if you need to mess about with pressures easily pre-ride.
  • rodgers73
    I got the impression that you end of doing a lot of repairs on these events - true?
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Depends how much your throwing your bike around/crashing when I did one last year I didn't have any mechanical problems despite crashing into a fence, cross bikes are pretty tough, its only 45-1hr long so nothing major should go wrong, especially as your starting with a new bike if anything does your on a circuit so could get to pits if you have spare wheels. probably all your going to need.
  • rodgers73
    How about afterwards? Do you stick the bike in the car as it is or try and wash it down at the venue?
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    I had a roof rack so it went straight on top, but I guess you might want to take some baby wipes or something to wipe the bulk of it off and then put it on top of some old blankets in the boot?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Nothing was needed to clean bikes at all last season. I have a feeling this season may be different. Useful to take a brush and a bucket at least to get the worst of the muck off (assuming you have somewhere to get water from to fill the bucket).

Having a couple of bikes to clean (my stepson races too) I invested in a mobiwasher for last season. It wasn't a waste of money as it does the job very well (used it on the MTBs), just the cross bikes never got in much of a state last year.

Food/drink wise, you don't eat or drink during a race. The races I do tend to take place over what I'd class as lunchtime, so I usually have a sandwich mid morning to keep me going until after the race. Sometimes take an energy gel before a race.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    I've not seen any repairs in the races I've done a few dnf's (riders crashes) maybe the odd puncture.
    Some people don't bring spares - they bring a spare bike - it's quicker to pull in pits swap over bikes and let someones else clean/fix/adjust the other bike etc.

Most places I've been too have a tap and a hose pipe to help wash the bike down afterwards - like has been mentioned before - last season was very dry - this season.. is different! :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    The more serious a rider gets the more they take. I have seen people with two spare bikes plus spare wheels in the pit area. They will then have friends or family in the pit area with a power washer cleaning the dirty bikes whilst they ride a spare. However, for most of us it's just a case of turn up and ride - if your bike breaks you never have far to go and so you can either retire or just run the bike around until the end. It might be worth having a spare pair of wheels if funds allow but other than that I would say you don't need anything other than your bike and kit (maybe a water container, bucket and sponge if you have to put the bike in the car after). It's an extremely accessible form of racing so don't over-complicate it (I wouldn't bother with food and drink for the race even unless someone can pass you a bottle in the pit area).
  • rodgers73
    No danger of me getting a 2nd bike - this is purely for fun and fitness, not glory!

I did think about one of those garden sprayers that you pump up yourself to generate more pressure as an easy way of hosing off the bike. Like this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Garden-Pre ... 20c71ff8f7
  • hammerite wrote:

Having a couple of bikes to clean (my stepson races too) I invested in a mobiwasher for last season. It wasn't a waste of money as it does the job very well (used it on the MTBs), just the cross bikes never got in much of a state last year.

Thinking of getting one of these. How did it fare against mud - worth getting for the pits?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

Thinking of getting one of these. How did it fare against mud - worth getting for the pits?

It worked surprisingly well when cleaning my MTB. The jet isn't ultra powerful but enough to take most mud off, a gentle brush down of the bike and a rinse and it's pretty much done.

Pointless having one in the pits though unless you have a power supply. I plug mine into the car after a race.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The amount of stuff you need really depends on the weather and the course conditions. If it's warm and sunny like yesterday, then very little indeed whereas when it's really mudding a raining, then lightweight waterproofs are a good idea, likewise, plastic bags for muddy kit afterwards and warm, dry clothing. Mechanicals and the like are best dealt with beforehand by making sure your bike is sorted the day before. There's no real need for drinks or nutrition before or during the race as you'll only need what's already stored in your muscles.
    Serious racers take two bikes, spare wheels and warm-up on rollers - I prefer to ride around the course to get a feel for the course and conditions.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..