I am a convert to...handbuilt wheels

nathancom
nathancom Posts: 1,567
edited October 2012 in Road general
I decided to get a set of handbuilts for a winter bike and my lbs had a set of 32h mavic open pro on miche hubs with dt comp spokes. Not a flashy build and cost a reasonably modest £240, but such a great feel to them. They are replacing a set of Aksiums and they are so much stiffer even though around the same weight, with the insurance of a bombproof build that I know will last. I really don't think I will ever buy factory wheels again...

Comments

• Great stuff...
    and even if you get the bug of light wheels, there are lighter options in the hand built market than in the factory wheels one
    left the forum March 2023
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Yeah he showed me a set of stans on tune hubs which were very light, ~ 1100g I think but with a hefty price tag.
  • nathancom wrote:
    Yeah he showed me a set of stans on tune hubs which were very light, ~ 1100g I think but with a hefty price tag.
    tune hubs are extreme, it's a case of diminishing returns, for 50 grams saving you end up spending 300 pounds more... there are reasonably priced options even in the lightish market, saying around 1450-1500 grams
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Would it be possible to replace worn out kysrium elite wheel rims with the open pro rims using the origional spokes?
  • ovi wrote:
    Would it be possible to replace worn out kysrium elite wheel rims with the open pro rims using the origional spokes?

ERD and spoke count is different, so no.
  • What is the bottom end of the hand built market like? I imagine the time taken to build would price them out of the lower end?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I had just about the lowest end handbuilt wheels, Shimano Altus 36spoke, solid axle with a hybrid rim. A totally bombproof commuter wheel that looks like nothing special. Used on and off road everyday for years, never needed trueing. Ken Apps Cycles, Hastings.
  • lakeland wrote:
    What is the bottom end of the hand built market like? I imagine the time taken to build would price them out of the lower end?

Let's say that for less than 180 pounds, it's not worth the hassle. Not because of the low profit, but rather for the number of compromises one has to make with low quality parts. Out of it, 120-140 pounds is the retail price of the parts... there is not much to play with
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    +1 for handbuilts, I have a set of carbon tubs that I have used for the last three seasons for racing. They have been used mainly for TT's but also for crit racing, no truing or retensioning needed as they feel as stiff and fresh as the first day of riding. Gigantex 50mm rims. Sapim Laser spokes on Novatec hubs a 1500g build for £400 no brainer really.
  • Worth considering at that price ugo. I am thinking about bringing back my giant defy from the dead so might be in touch at some point in the future.