Garmin Edge 500 blip - editing activities

Xcelerator
Xcelerator Posts: 35
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Hi,
Out on a ride yesterday my Garmin Edge 500 must have lost the GPS signal, as it suddenly added 1,500+ miles to my ride. When I uploaded the ride to Garmin Connect it appeared that I had cycled to the Ukraine and back!!!

What is the best way to edit the ride so that my Garmin Connect and Strava logs are not 'distorted'?

The ride data is all ok other than the split second detour to the Ukraine.

I have looked at the TCX file but am not really sure how to edit it.

The other option I have looked at is editing the ride on Runkeeper which lets you edit the map by deleting ride points.

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks
Giant Defy 2
Giant Defy Composite 1

Comments

• Xcelerator wrote:
    Hi,
    Out on a ride yesterday my Garmin Edge 500 must have lost the GPS signal, as it suddenly added 1,500+ miles to my ride. When I uploaded the ride to Garmin Connect it appeared that I had cycled to the Ukraine and back!!!

What is the best way to edit the ride so that my Garmin Connect and Strava logs are not 'distorted'?

The other option I have looked at is editing the ride on Runkeeper which lets you edit the map by deleting ride points.

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Throw the Garmin in the bin, forget all the software data download time wasting garbage and concentrate on some proper training.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Not sure if you can edit the .fit file but a .gpx can be amended using an XML editor such as xml notepad
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Xcelerator wrote:
    Hi,

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Throw the Garmin in the bin, forget all the software data download time wasting garbage and concentrate on some proper training.

Thanks, very helpful :?: :|
    Giant Defy 2
    Giant Defy Composite 1
  • Sorry.

To my mind cycling is something you do to get away from mobile phones, computers, software, and associated stress. I sometimes forget that some people think this sort of technology makes them happy.

I was being flippant.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Sorry.

To my mind cycling is something you do to get away from mobile phones, computers, software, and associated stress. I sometimes forget that some people think this sort of technology makes them happy.

I was being flippant.

Just because you're too stupid to use these new fangled GPS things, doesn't mean they don't have a use. Who are you to decide what technology people decide to use and what makes them happy (or otherwise)?
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you post the question on the Garmin forum along with the .fit file someone there will probably be very helpful and fix it for you. Alternatively (and what I'd do), export the activity from Garmin Connect as a .tcx. You can open it in any text editor and remove the dodgy GPS data. You'll then need to delete the activity from Garmin Connect and manually upload the modified .tcx file.
    More problems but still living....
  • Seem to have fixed it, by exporting the file from Garmin Connect as a .tcx and then importing into Runkeeper (which is what I was using before I got the Garmin Edge 500). Once in Runkeeper, I deleted the "rogue" points on the map(there were only a couple) and saved the ride. Then I exported the file as a .gpx and imported into Strava and Garmin Connect.

Strangely, I didn't think I was going to be able to import into Connect as there was a message on the Garmin site saying they can only cope with .tcx or .fit files. Then when I checked back later, the message mentioned .gpx files as well.

Even after editing it, the ride looked a bit odd in Runkeeper at the point where the GPS signal was temporarily lost with a sudden "high speed" section, but the ride looks fine in Strava and Garmin Connect.

So, all fixed!!
    Giant Defy 2
    Giant Defy Composite 1
  • Sorry.

I was being flippant.

Flippancy forgiven :) !! I kind of agree with you about cycling to get away from modern stresses, but recording my rides on GPS is part of that, rather than in conflict with it. Horses (bikes) for courses.

And of course, we're on an internet forum discussing it. The irony!
    Giant Defy 2
    Giant Defy Composite 1