Scott Scale 60 - Jomox

Jomox
Jomox Posts: 250
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Finally got it to an okay stage to take pictures, first proper bike to get into riding for a good few years.

Bike is built based on new and used parts, only thing brought used are frame, forks, chainset, headset. Funds are tight so I've had to build this based on keeping things limited in terms of what I can get, luckily got some great deals from CRC on the sales and got something I like the look of together. Not as high end as some of the bikes on here but for the money it does the job nicely.

j6ke5.jpg

eE2hM.jpg

KSRd0.jpg

Frame: Scott Scale 60
Forks: Fox Talas RLC
Wheels: A-Class Vetrax D2
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Wire 2.1
Bars: RaceFace Deus XC 3/4
Stem: RaceFace Ride XC 2012
Headset: Can't remember come with frame
Grips: Nukeproof Element End Lock On
Brakes: Shimano SLX M665 Front & Deore M595 Rear
Rotors: Avid HS1 180mm & 160mm
Shifters: Shimano Deore M590
Chainset: Shimano SLX M600
Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR 7701
Cassette: Shimano Deore HG50 11-32
Front Mech: Shimano Deroe
Rear Mech: Shimano SLX Shadow M662
Pedals: DMR V8 Grease Port Acid
Seatpost: Scott Components
Saddle: San Marco Spid

Still have to change the seat post and seat (From recommendations on here) was going to do it other week but money had to go elsewhere for the moment. Also will change the pedals & grips as not getting on with them now. Use to get on with V8's before though they are heavy and another thing that can lift some more weight of the bike. Will get a SLX for rear also as prefer feel of it compared to the Deore (And has more power) Guess in time will upgrade shifters and cassette also. Not sure on the tyres when going on road also in the wet, they seem to slip quite easy there. They are quite nice off the road but still lots more testing to do. (Need to pump forks up also)

The bike overall though is fast, great traction and pull. It just wants you to push it and really takes of when you want it to or don't, handles lovely, controlled and responsive, though at very high speed it can feel a bit light (Still learning the bike though) main thing is the way it rolls, it just rolls forever and I keep rolling past all others on whatever bike (My 98kg helping with that? ) My fitness soon slow's me down.

uenll.jpg

PS: sorry for crappy pics, will try get a decent cam and better ones when upgrades are on. If interested that's my front garden where they are taken.

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Jomox wrote:
    Not as high end as some of the bikes on here but for the money it does the job nicely.
    not exactly bargain basement either, looking very nice :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • RIP Babs "get aarta moi pub"
  • Jomox
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Jomox wrote:
    Not as high end as some of the bikes on here but for the money it does the job nicely.
    not exactly bargain basement either, looking very nice :D

Cheers, yeah it's nice for the price, no thanks to CRC though and some of the deals they have going on sometimes.
    RIP Babs "get aarta moi pub"

Hehe, only bench around for miles. (It was a dog fell in a old big mine lake, owner tried to save if but both drowned)
  • Lovely.

Still something to be said for a well put together hardtail.

Regards

Carl
  • Jomox
    Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does look good, in fact it looks "factory" (in a good way).

Still tossing up between a Scale and a 456 carbon frame when I reframe mine!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have you weighed it yet?

I would be curious to know some weights. Did you weigh the forks, frame etc when you built it?

Cheers

Carl
  • Jomox
    I weighed some stuff yes but never calculated everything perfectly, only have accurate weights on some parts. At a guess it weighs around 11.4kg, if you really wanted you could get it below 10kg. I plan to weigh the whole bike when I get a chance to get near some accurate scales for the job. I believe the frame is 1.6kg.

My next plan will be to change the pedals, cassette and post to take some weight of the rear as those parts are all on the heavy side, it will be below 11kg then. The wheels are not that light also for XC and 26 spoke? (778g front, 1030g rear) but they run nicely so I'm happy with them for now.

DMR V8 Grease Port Acid: 528g
    Shimano Deore HG50 11-32 Cassette: 358g
    Scott Components Seatpost: 354g
    Selle San Marco Spid Saddle: 208g

I plan to replace them with:

Wellgo CNC Platform B124: 376g or Blackspire Sub4 Pedal 2013: 300g
    Shimano HG80 11-28: 230g
    eXotic Carbon Titanium: 173g
    Bontrager Evoke RXL: 168g

With those parts should be around 10.8kg. Not just about weight saving though, saddle was just a temporary solution (Not comfy at all for me personally on longer distances) but the weight lost should help a bit with climbing etc I guess.
    Does look good, in fact it looks "factory" (in a good way).

Still tossing up between a Scale and a 456 carbon frame when I reframe mine!

The 456 carbon looks really nice, but I guess it's hard to choose between that and the higher end Scale frames. My experience with this Scale so far is nothing but great. I'd love one of the higher end ones.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Frame weight would have been nice.......though a quick google suggests between 1100-1225g.

With that spec I'd guess at 12Kg ish....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jomox
    12kg is to high, it's already below that for sure, I've weighed most of the stuff but the stuff I did not I took the weights from net like weight weenies (Then added it all up but with frame weight 1600g) Not totality accurate but I'll weigh it soon and pretty sure it will be around 11.3kg with the current parts, with the upgrades it will be below 11kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Still tossing up between a Scale

Been looking on alibaba.com?