Which Bike Brands Are British?

Lloydy25
Lloydy25 Posts: 13
edited October 2012 in Road general
I mean manufacturers of bikes, not of accessories.

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    There are a lot of very fine hand-made frame-builders in this country - just look at the Bristol Bike show, or get a list of their exhibitors. I happen to live near Enigma, down here on the Sussex coast, and had a beautiful bicycle built for me over there
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    When does a modest outfit that build their own frames become a brand, though?

Pashley and Moulton manufacture here... I guess you could call them brands. Or am I thinking of Brompton?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Mercian
  • Forme
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There are lots of British brands, but perhaps only a few dozen companies who actually design and make their own product in the UK. The vast majority of bike companies, including some of the biggest brands are purely marketing companies, buying in OEM product from the Far East, applying their stickers, fitting a groupset and so on.
    It really depends on what you consider to be "British"?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Kinesis are a British company that design their own frames but I'm pretty sure they're manufactured overseas.
  • Monty Dog
    FWIW most of the UK-built product are steel frames with the exception of Enigma's titanium frames or the carbon frames built for British Cycling. AFAIK there are no other titanium or carbon builders in the UK.
  • wheezee
    And I don't think all of their Ti bikes are made here.
  • Moda, although they are only designed in britain, and even then only the frames are, but they have a union flag on them so they must be british right.....?
  • if somethng is build abroad, then assembled in the UK i personally dont think it should carry a british flag, as its not british made..

just my tuppence worth
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • wheezee
    It would certainly cut down what has the potential to become a very long thread.

Mind you, if you were to consider components in the same light, you wouldn't end up with a single British bike.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    wheezee wrote:
    When does a modest outfit that build their own frames become a brand, though?

Pashley and Moulton manufacture here... I guess you could call them brands. Or am I thinking of Brompton?

Moulton are built 8 miles from you in Bradford-on-Avon
    They also build a titanium.
  • wheezee
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Yes, but there's a sodding great hill in the way. I couldn't see them from here.
  • Bozman
    Aren't Moda British ish?
  • Holdsworth bikes
  • A brand is just, and only, that - a name.

The rules are that an item can be labelled as "made in....." if the "last significant process" took place there. This might be covered by, e.g. assembly, or even by addding a "prestigious" set of transfers. That's what happens in the fashion business (and cycling gets more and more like fashion every year).

Very, very, very few frames are UK built apart from the small steel builders mentioned (such as Mercian, Rourke, Bob Jackson etc). Whatever is told to you, very very few frames for the public are built in Italy either. Groupsets come from the Far East or "Italy" - (Campagnolo has plants in other Eastern European countries as well). The days of Williams, GB, Benelux etc are long gone (but actually, some of the British stuff wasn't that good!)

The UK Sport Olympic frames are fabricated in the UK, and Moda (I think) now has a Stoke firm that fabricates carbon frames lined up for one model.

Many of the famous bike names from the past have been bought up for "badge engineering" purposes, but they aren't UK made bikes in most cases.

However, this doesn't mean that the current kit isn't great. The quality control applied to the products for known names (not of course the dodgy "Chinarello" type products) is second to none - you don't get the "odd bad frame" that some of the more homespun builders of the past could come up with any more.

We're in a global economy, and most products are a mix of parts made all over the world. So it is with bikes.
  • Orange make most of their bikes in the UK...although not their road bike.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Monty Dog wrote:
    FWIW most of the UK-built product are steel frames with the exception of Enigma's titanium frames or the carbon frames built for British Cycling. AFAIK there are no other titanium or carbon builders in the UK.

Qoroz.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bozman
    DesWeller wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Qoroz.

And apparently Moda sell the only British made/built carbon frame
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    wheezee wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Yes, but there's a sodding great hill in the way. I couldn't see them from here.

My daily commute (insert wheezing icon) , but not on a Moulton
  • Bozman wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Qoroz.

And apparently Moda sell the only British made/built carbon frame

Yep: http://road.cc/content/news/67974-moda-2013-uk-built-carbon-monocoque-new-steel-frames-plus-big-upgrades
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Are Qoroz frames "British"? Fab as they are, I thought they were designed here & fabricated in the Far East. Either way, I'd love one after a recent test-ride :)
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I was under the impression that they were custom-made in this country (i.e. made-to-measure). They certainly cost enough.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MEKK are a british brand run by Brits and have Brit headquarters, but the carbon frames are designed in Italy and made in Taiwan.
  • Monty Dog
    Qoroz frames are made in China - I'd even have a pretty good guess at which factory and could tell you how much they cost to buy having bought a few custom titanium frames from China.
  • Bozman wrote:
    Aren't Moda British ish?
    as mentioned on the labels on the frames on the Moda bikes at the NEC yesterday, "born in the UK" - it also had Barelli kit on it as well, bars etc but a lot of the finishing kit was not British, e.g. American Classic wheels.

bit of a mish mash TBH - nice bikes though
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • My Raleigh Airlite has made in nottingham stamped on the frame does this count.???
  • Dolan are British I believe. Could quite easily be wrong tho...I often am :lol:
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    DesWeller wrote:
    I was under the impression that they were custom-made in this country (i.e. made-to-measure). They certainly cost enough.

I knew I'd read it somewhere! http://www.qoroz.com/docs/CA-June2010.pdf
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear