Bashguard

Rich_awakening
Rich_awakening Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
So, have ordered my Boardman MTB HT Pro and have decided, as winter is fast approaching, trousers are going to be the best option. As far as I understand it a Bashguard is the best bet to stop my trouser legs getting caught in the sprokets. Only issue is I know nothing about this as it is completely new to it. Have looked but couldnt see this question being asked before, so here goes...

Is there a specific thing I shbould be looking at in a bashguard as the Boardman only has 2 front rings? My understanding was that they normally replace the larger of the 3 rings on a 3 speed set up. Is there any alternative to a bashguard to do the same job?

Many Thanks

Rich

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not at a sensible price, although a trouserguard (thin plastic found on BSO's) and a bashguard (chunkier thing to protect the chainwheel) are different things for different purposes.
    Just get trouserclips or something. And don't wear 70's flares.
    flares-woodstock.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    And don't wear 70's flares.
    flares-woodstock.jpg
    Trying to snub out the competition?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You've got to have the hips for it dude. Wonder if they do the shoes in SPD's?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Not sure about heels but you can get platform SPDs so i assume you can get platform shoes for SPD.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Back on Topic, most Boardmans use a Truvativ crankset, if it has 4 small holes in the big ring you can buy a trouser guard for it, costs about £6 as the lad had one on his as it doubled up on commuter duties.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wear shorts!!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Groupset:
    Shifters SRAM X9 2x10
    Front Mech SRAM X9 2x10
    Rear Mech SRAM X9 2x10 speed
    Brakes Avid Elixir R
    Chainset FSA Comet BB30 42x27T
    Cassette SRAM PG1050
    Chain KMC X10
    Bottom Bracket FSA BB30

That is the groupset spec from the boardman website...Can't see anything about Truvativ....anyone know if I can get a trouser guard or Bashguard for that at all? Surely a Bashguard will be better, although I understand the bash guard will be deaer but surely it will do the same job as a trouser guard and more...?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    It'd be easier just with a trouser clip/tuck your trouser-leg in your socks. Your chainset is 3-arm, double-specific that's only made by FSA. No one makes a bash guard that will fit it.