Vulcan v Rockrider

r1c1
r1c1 Posts: 12
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Again,

Off to Halfords later to check out Carrera Vulcan (£379) then Decathlon for Rockrider 5.3(£299)

I like the look of both bikes and they're around my buget (£300)

Both seem to have everything I (think I) need but the specs confuse me.

Does anyone have any input on which would be the better bike. I know the 5.3 is mentioned in the sticky but wondered if it is better than the Vulcan.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The main difference is that the Vulcan has hydraulic disc brakes - but the 5.3 gets a better fork and drivetrain.

Why not look at the Rockrider 8.0? This gets an upgrade to hydro brakes.
  • r1c1
    Hi

The 8.1 is more than I can spend at moment. I didn't even notice that the 5.3 had cable operate disc brakes.
    Thanks for pointing it out. Any other suggestions around 300 or would I be better just going with Vulcan?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    the 8.0 is only £40 more than the vulcan http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-80-id_8206681.html £399 for the 8.0 v £359 for the vulcan
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • r1c1
    I was looking at 8.1. Didn't notice 8.0. Don't think my local shop has that one in stock but I'll check later today.
    Any input on Vulcan or is Rockrider better?
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I don't think much of the 8.0 compared to the others. If you buy from halfords order it online and collect because they have a deal on, you could get the Voodoo Hoodoo for £435. I like the Vulcan though
  • r1c1
    lol. Just asked kids and they liked Vulcan. Thought about Hoodoo, it gets good reviews but slightly more money and not keen on colour. Vulcan looking good so far........
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    r1c1 wrote:
    lol. Just asked kids and they liked Vulcan. Thought about Hoodoo, it gets good reviews but slightly more money and not keen on colour. Vulcan looking good so far........
    is a nice looking bike, this guy has one viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12878757&hilit=vulcan
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • r1c1
    Update - Went to Halfords to check out Vulcan. Didn't have display model and staff not keen to bring bike through from warehouse...........so back home again without a bike.

1 more question,
    Is there anything wrong with the specialized hardrock disc? Looks good and I thought the company were good.

Thanks again
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Everything apart from the frame. For the money they are awful, crap fork, low rent parts.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    At that price point Decathlon and Halfords bikes offer much better specs than the bigger "name" brands, the fork in particular on the Hardrock is poor, but generally the others you are looking at offer better spec throughout.
  • r1c1
    Thanks. Was just curious as ads in magazines always show these and GT's etc at around 400 mark.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only thing your paying for is the name, otherwise they are hopelessly un imperative, stick to the mass brands.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • r1c1
    Finally bought a bike. Went for Carrera Vulcan from Halfords. Chose not to let them build it. Got bike for £ 330. Only been out on it a couple of times so far but feels great. Feels a lot lighter than my old 80's mountain bike and steers a lot quicker. Thanks for all help.