SPD's..

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
That don't make you feel like you're of your balancing on a small surface?

I've had the M520 before, but I think the platform was too small so it hurt my feet after a while.

Would something like the XT wide cage be better and provide more foot support and surface area to stand on?
67219.jpg

Comments

• Not really. Get better/stiffer shoes
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Not really. Get better/stiffer shoes

+1, I use M520's (have used M424's) and found the platform of no use at all. The sore foot may have something to do with cleat position? But I'm pretty sure that as long as you're close enough, you'll be fine!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    they are designed for quick foot dabs, but still getting an spd boot on contact with the pedal

new shoes...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The new teva/mallet combo looks good for platform, but probably terrible for mud. As said, shoes are the key. I don't think you need the stiffest, but you do need ones that fit really well.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    As said above. I've used basic SPD's for 20 years or so and although I started on the black and red DX thingies, I never felt the need for a wider platform once I got used to them.

My first SPD shoes were a joke and very soft in the sole, so I bought some carbon soled shimano M220s which are still going strong. Never noticed a platform of any sort under my foot from the first ride with them onwards.

However, if you like the softer soled shoes then yes I can imagine the give in the soles will cause issues of feeling insecure and uneasy on the small platform. Maybe if this is the case then some of the pedals mentioned would be a good idea, although in that scenario I'd be looking for flats.
  • hmm.. shoes were plenty stiff enough. Just felt 'on the edge of the peddle'.

Shall stick with flats then!
  • You never really have your sole resting on the platform, it's just an aid to clipping in. The shoe sole provides the equivalent of the flat platform.
  • I'm flat footed on pedals though, I need the support.

Power doesn't go through the shoe sole, it still goes through the pedal?
  • twonks
    I'm over 230lb and never feel the pedal itself through my shoes. It is just a mechanical coupling to the shoe sole in my mind, so the pedal surface could be a pin prick or cover the entire sole - I wouldn't notice.

When you say you feel on the edge, is it that you feel your foot is physically going to slide off the edge of the pedal, or that you can feel the sole pushing into the edge of the pedal.

Maybe an option is to try some shoes with full carbon soles as they are a lot stiffer than normally stiff cycling shoes, and/or try a different cleat position if you feel like your sliding off the edge.
  • Its hard to describe... like, almost on the edge of a ledge.

I've tried a few different types of pedal, from Shimano ones to CB's and used 2 pairs of shoes.. I think I'd prefer somthing like a flat pedal with SPD sort of style.
  • twonks
    I had a similar feeling when tried Time Atac pedals as my feet slid over the rails and sort of hung off the edge.

Most odd and deffinately not a feeling I liked, so went back to SPDs.

I think that maybe some time with cleat position and pedal tension should sort the feeling, assuming it isn't sole related.
  • Doesn't sound like SPD is for you tbh, out of curioscity why do you use SPD if you're never comfy on them?
  • I don't... I use flats ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe they just don't make SPD's for giant gorilla feet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Well keep using flats then :?

I use SPD's and i can tell you they don't give you any more efficiency or anything like that, the only reason to use them is if you personally find them more comfortable. You've said you don't so why do you want them at all?
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Of course they give more efficiency, no power is lost through flexing of soles. And being clipped in is a benefit, you can move the bike around so much more.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited September 2012
    Not if you have stiff soled shoes. Flex is good for flats as it aids grip. Sort of one or the other
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Agreed clipping in isn't for everyone. Clipping in also doesn't improve efficiency, it's the shoes being stiffer but you could get that for flats if you really wanted. Clips do allow you to generate more power though, partly due to the fact the shoes have stiffer soles but also because you can pull as well as push.

Personally I think I know what the OP feels. My first try out of clips was some 520's with stiff XC type shoes, that put me right off being clipped in as my feet kept sliding all over the place due to having no extra support apart from the support from the mechanism so there was no grip either but I had already felt the benefits of being clipped in so wanted to try and make it work so I borrowed the LBS owners Time Freeride pedals and went up the hill with. When I came back I bought them off him there and then along with some Shimano AM45 shoes. I now use 530's on the road bike and 647's (DX's) on the XC and DH bikes when I'm using clips as I have found them easier to clip in to but the Time's were much easier and smoother to unclip. All three feel like I'm on flats pretty much, partly due to the shoes being like flat shoes, slightly more flex and the sole does rest on the cages so provide some grip and support. I've tried XC type shoes again on the Time's but still didn't like them so maybe try some different shoes. Cleat positioning can also make a big difference, I run mine nearly all the way back so my feet are in a similar position to the one they would be on flat pedals.

So to summarise, the shoe does rest on the cage I have found, I have found shoes that are more like flat shoes make a difference, Shimano's are easier to clip in to but Time's are easier to clip out of, try different cleat positions and ignore anyone that says to just give up on clips, if you want to run them and are willing to put in the effort to try and make them work then go for it. Ultimately though, clips aren't for everyone, even though I prefer being clipped in for most stuff now, I still find myself packing flats in the car all the time and switching back to them for certain things.
  • Not really. Get better/stiffer shoes
    +Potato.
    With a stiff enough sole, you essentially have a pedal that's the same size as your shoe.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    The M424s support the side lugs of my shoes pretty well, there's definitely more support than with 520s and the cheapo wellgo things that came with my rockrider.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017