Muscle mass?

Mr cyclist
Mr cyclist Posts: 42
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Is it possible to lose muscle bulk/mass without losing the strength of the muscle? I understand that by no longer using the muscle it will atrophy but then the strength will be lost. Is there any type of weight training that could be done to achieve this effect or is it impossible.
Cheers for any help.

Comments

• tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    you can do full body compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, clean and jerk and over head press etc this are movements that are natural in day to day life and will benefit you. you will be able to train but also keep as much muscle mass as possible.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    <tapswatch>
  • Would think its more to do with what you eat. If you want less mass then eat less meat and more veg, rice ect..
  • Mr cyclist wrote:
    Is it possible to lose muscle bulk/mass without losing the strength of the muscle? I understand that by no longer using the muscle it will atrophy but then the strength will be lost. Is there any type of weight training that could be done to achieve this effect or is it impossible.
    Cheers for any help.
    Is this a question related to cycling performance?

I ask because it's not clear if strength is really the issue.

If it's not about cycling, then I have no further comment other than muscle size and strength are correlated but that is not all that is involved in strength.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Do you not have any fat you could loose instead?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Mr cyclist wrote:
    Cheers for any help.

Yes but it is upper body muscle mass such as arms and chest
  • dw300 wrote:
    Do you not have any fat you could loose instead?
    not much
  • Yes you can lose mass & maintain strength - look at olympic lifters who stay pretty much same weight abut lift more and more - its a lot to do with recruitment - being able to use all your muscle fibres more often. BUT it ain't easy - you have to lift very heavy which requires good technique and probably means sacrificing cycling ability - at least whilst lifting. If cycling's your thing just let your upper body waste away....
  • Mr cyclist wrote:
    Mr cyclist wrote:
    Cheers for any help.

Yes but it is upper body muscle mass such as arms and chest

Then you'll need to prioritise and make a choice.
  • I am probably not going to answer the question that you are asking but will add what is often forgotten by cyclists wanting to improve performance on the bike only.
    Mr cyclist wrote:
    Cheers for any help.
    Don't forget that the pros are neither muscular or strong but rather extremely powerful over the durations which matter to them. See the photo of 3 top pro Spanish riders looking emaciated by common standards http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... ner/238198 Neither of them are strong or muscular.
    If Wiggins were to gain more upper body strength it would likely be to the detriment of his cycling performance and so he very visibly does not lift weights because the amount of muscle he possesses if more than adequate for him.

Never fall into the trap of thinking that more strength = better road cycling performance. It doesn't, and excess muscle that is not required during cycling is at best added weight to slow you down. The pros are obsessive about keeping weight very low and that includes losing muscle as well as fat.

I realise that that is not answering your question but hopefully it will mean something. Alex will keep you on track.
  • Mr cyclist wrote:
    Cheers for any help.
    Ask on a powerlifting forum - an appropriate powerlifting routine should maximise strength gains relative to mass gains. Whether or not you would actually lose size would, I expect, depend on how big you are now and your diet. Of course, none of this will help you ride faster.
    1968, human content on bitumen.