Campag 11 Speed brakes

rjgr
rjgr Posts: 52
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Just bought a set of deep carbon wheels and fitted Swisstop Yellow pads (which seem to deliver very good, progressive braking). To facilitate quick switch back to aluminium wheels on a wet day, hilly club ride etc. I wanted to get a spare set of Campag SR or equivalent brake shoes so I avoid all the fiddling of vice work changing pads.

Any idea where I can get a set of Campag 11 speed brake shoes (with the latest rear pad retaining clip system)?

I should be interested to be told if Athena, Chorus, Record etc. shoes are all the same/compatible?

Or any advice from others as to how to handle a quick carbon to Alu wheel change eg how do yellow pads run on alu rims if you can stomach running through sets of these at £44 a go!

Comments

• You can't. Uberbike make some compatible ones...
    left the forum March 2023
  • I have just consulted the official 2012 Campag spare parts document and the rubber brake pad inserts are the same for Athena, Chorus, Record and Super Record (BR-RE700 for Alloy and BR-RE702 for Carbon).

You can get genuine Campag sets of 4 from Sigma Sport for 17.99 and 24.99.

I had to change mine for the first time on the Ride Across Britain and was surprised to find that there is no pad retention mechanism. No grub screws or any such thing. They are primarily a friction fit with a small clip inside the holder that presses into an indentation on the back of the pad. They are removed simply by pulling in a rearward direction.

The leading edge of the retainer is a "dead end" so they cannot slide out when you brake. A set of long nose pliers is all you need - grip along the length of the rubber block and pull rearwards. Swapping them this way would probably be faster that unbolting the whole pad and retainer (although you may well have to adjust the position due to the different rim specs/positions). I wouldn't want to have to change them roadside as they need a fair old tug on the pliers (which you're unlikely to have with you anyway!). Fronts are trickier than the rears as the fork is in the way of pulling rearwards so you need to slacken off the caliper to get decent access (but you probably need to recentre the calipers for each rim anyway unless their centre lines are absolutely the same).
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • mpdouglas wrote:
    I have just consulted the official 2012 Campag spare parts document and the rubber brake pad inserts are the same for Athena, Chorus, Record and Super Record (BR-RE700 for Alloy and BR-RE702 for Carbon).

You can get genuine Campag sets of 4 from Sigma Sport for 17.99 and 24.99.

I had to change mine for the first time on the Ride Across Britain and was surprised to find that there is no pad retention mechanism. No grub screws or any such thing. They are primarily a friction fit with a small clip inside the holder that presses into an indentation on the back of the pad. They are removed simply by pulling in a rearward direction.

The leading edge of the retainer is a "dead end" so they cannot slide out when you brake. A set of long nose pliers is all you need - grip along the length of the rubber block and pull rearwards. Swapping them this way would probably be faster that unbolting the whole pad and retainer (although you may well have to adjust the position due to the different rim specs/positions). I wouldn't want to have to change them roadside as they need a fair old tug on the pliers (which you're unlikely to have with you anyway!). Fronts are trickier than the rears as the fork is in the way of pulling rearwards so you need to slacken off the caliper to get decent access (but you probably need to recentre the calipers for each rim anyway unless their centre lines are absolutely the same).

If you did read the OP post... :?
  • I did read the OP and spent some time writing an informative reply. Do you have nothing better to do than malign those who try to help?

In case you cannot join up the dots:

he asked - "Where can I get some" - I replied Sigma Sport, with part numbers and prices

he asked - "Are Record/Chorus/Athena the same/compatible" - I replied in the affirmative with part numbers and citing the relevant campag document to confirm the veracity of this (i.e. not the usual opinions held out as "facts")

he asked for opinion on handling a swap from alu to carbon - I opined that swapping the rubber blocks is probably faster than swapping a second full set of pads/retainers because the rubber swap can be achieved with long nose pliers when the wheel is removed. I swapped a set on Ride across britain in a minute or two with nothing more than a set of pliers.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • He needs the shoe too, not just the rubber pad insert. Rubber inserts can be found everywhere...
  • I bought myself a set of Jagwire Elite Pro's, the shoes of which are nearly identical to the original Campag ones.

http://jagwireusa.com/index.php/products/v/Elite_Pro2

Couldn't source them in the UK, right enough.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Have a chat with this guy - he's got some spare ones :)

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12880931
  • rjgr
    rjgr Posts: 52
    Thanks for all the comments.

Useful info compared to anything I could find on line.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I'm still working out what 11 speed brakes are ???
    Yellow is the new Black.