Just been in Aldi - it was full of idiots.

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited October 2012 in Road general
I heard about the Aldi bicycle event so thought I'd pop down at lunchtime today to see what they had in. Unfortunately the place appeared t be swamped by a bunch of middle class rude people hysterically flinging stuff about in the racks looking to bag themselves a bargain. These people were obviously cycling enthusiasts. They were blocking people from browsing stuff, ripping open boxed goods to check the contents, and generally rampaging about the aisles with a demented experssion on their face. There was a guy there in an expensive looking suit parading up and down one aisle clutching an assortment of dayglo tops, trembling with excitement.

Am I missing something here? Are the stuff they were selling that cheap and that good? I honestly felt a little ashamed to be an (albeit new) cycling enthusiast and made an effort to distance myself from these animals. Instead I went and purchased some real ale, then left accordingly.

I honestly don't know what they have in Aldi that could warrant such madness. It's like everyone had been infected with an idiot virus. A terrible advert for cyclists and another good reason why I won't get caught up in the consumerist rat-race side of cycling. I'll just continue to cycle in my tracksuit bottoms instead and save being part of this pathetic clique.

:)

Comments

• Have you never been in Aldi before, sounds fairly normal to me.
  • Have you never been in Aldi before, sounds fairly normal to me.

Yes. Normally the place is frequented by untermenschen that have crawled from under a rock but today it was full of a completely different class of arsehole.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Have you never been in Aldi before, sounds fairly normal to me.

Yes. Normally the place is frequented by untermenschen that have crawled from under a rock but today it was full of a completely different class of arsehole.

Wow, racist, condescending & elitist all in one post, winner! I'm trying desperately not to invoke Godwin's here!
  • Wow, racist, condescending & elitist all in one post, winner! I'm trying desperately not to invoke Godwin's here!

Come on now my post was more to do with species than race.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Wow, racist, condescending & elitist all in one post, winner! I'm trying desperately not to invoke Godwin's here!

& the word "Untermenschen fits in to that how?
    Either your wholly ignorant of it's past use & contotations or your fully aware of it & feel there's humour to be gained from re-appropriating, with its contotations to a group of people you deem your self better than. I can't decide which is worse but either way it's pretty repulsive.
  • Bustacapp wrote:

& the word "Untermenschen fits in to that how?
    Either your wholly ignorant of it's past use & contotations or your fully aware of it & feel there's humour to be gained from re-appropriating, with its contotations to a group of people you deem your self better than. I can't decide which is worse but either way it's pretty repulsive.

The use of the word 'untermenschen' in its literall translation can fairly often be applied to those of the tracksuit-wearing-stella-drinking-chavvy-types sub-species, however, being eu fait with its historical connotations I am not one to advocate its use. Try the word 'scum' instead.
  • Lol
  • You f'kin Tesco shoppers are a bunch a elitist, racist wankers!
  • The use of the word 'untermenschen' in its literall translation can fairly often be applied to those of the tracksuit-wearing-stella-drinking-chavvy-types sub-species, however, being eu fait with its historical connotations I am not one to advocate its use. Try the word 'scum' instead.

And I thought Stella was still reassuringly expensive. It's Cidre not Cider after all!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Have you never been in Aldi before, sounds fairly normal to me.

Untermensch (German for under man, sub-man, sub-human; plural: Untermenschen).

Just because it was used by the Nazis doesn't mean that the word is racist.
    (And that doesn't invoke Godwin's)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • One is reminded that when pointing a finger at others, three fingers are pointing back at you.

What would, I wonder, Andrew Mitchell think of the OP?
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Bustacapp wrote:
    I heard about the Aldi bicycle event so thought I'd pop down at lunchtime today to see what they had in. Unfortunately the place appeared t be swamped by a bunch of middle class rude people hysterically flinging stuff about in the racks looking to bag themselves a bargain.

Oh the irony......
  • MattC59 wrote:

Untermensch (German for under man, sub-man, sub-human; plural: Untermenschen).

Just because it was used by the Nazis doesn't mean that the word is racist.
    (And that doesn't invoke Godwin's)

This.

Looks like some of those hysterical types from Aldi are in this here thread !!
  • The Sardines in tomato sauce were cheap at 42p a tin.
    Did anyone else bag a non bike related bargain whilst they were in there?

;)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I wouldn't buy anything from a shop that doesn't accept my bad county court judgement credit cards.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12878634
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • The Sardines in tomato sauce were cheap at 42p a tin.

;)

Lidl is far superior to Aldi. Have you tried theire premium tinned tomatoes? Double concentrate!!
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    The Sardines in tomato sauce were cheap at 42p a tin.

;)

Lidl is far superior to Aldi. Have you tried theire premium tinned tomatoes? Double concentrate!!

Your post is useless without prices Sir!
    :lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    The Sardines in tomato sauce were cheap at 42p a tin.

;)

Your post is useless without prices Sir!
    :lol:

almost as useless as Aldi ans Lidl
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Buster. Please take a breath old chap. I have only been on this forum for a couple of weeks but it seems from your posts that you take issue with everything and everyone. What's up?

On the Aldi question, I bought some track mitts they had for sale at £4.99 and was not expecting much. I now have four pair as they are excellent. Good fit, comfortable, hard wearing and even stylish. All they lack, if I wanted to be picky, would be pull off tabs to make them easier to remove. But at £4.99 I can't complain.
  • I'm in the market for some full leggings, what's the selection like?

Want my milky pins snuggly for those winter rides.
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • mike6 wrote:
    Buster. Please take a breath old chap. I have only been on this forum for a couple of weeks but it seems from your posts that you take issue with everything and everyone. What's up?

On the Aldi question, I bought some track mitts they had for sale at £4.99 and was not expecting much. I now have four pair as they are excellent. Good fit, comfortable, hard wearing and even stylish. All they lack, if I wanted to be picky, would be pull off tabs to make them easier to remove. But at £4.99 I can't complain.

It was you wasn't it? Admit it! It was you in that suit!!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Bustacapp wrote:
    It was you wasn't it? Admit it! It was you in that suit!!

You seem to have a big chip on your shoulder. Take it to the golf club please fella.
  • I just sent my retired parents and had the stuff waiting for me at home...they enjoy the challenge of aldi.
  • The Aldi I went to in Northampton was clean, tidy and very new. Pleasant people examining the goods in a polite manner, one person ahead of me at the checkout and a Daily Mirror £5 voucher. Result!

Err, no, I didn't actually read the 'newspaper' further than to find the voucher. It did seem to have lots of stories about people of whom I have no knowledge :?
    'fool'
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Aldi...consumerist rat-race side of cycling.
    :O
  • would this be similar to a bike jumble then :roll:
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Bustacapp wrote:

Wow. A superiority complex and an Inferiority complex at the same time.

No wonder he's angry.
  • Winter tights seem ok Reane_Machine.

Sizing is good and they are warm and pretty well made.

Padding is rather weird though.
  • I had to drive to Aberystwyth from Hampshire on Wednesday/Thursday. Planned a strategic stop in Abergavenny Aldi at 0800 on Thursday.

Arrive (my first Aldi experience) to think "Oh damn, this is a food shop" - to soon find the obsessives rifling through the cycling kit.

Joined them and got myself some good value socks, arm-warmers and waterprooof overtrousers. The latter - on returing home - seem a waste of space. However, the socks and arm-warmers are good value!

Definitely an interesting experience for "Mr. Waitrose or Tesco at a push".