Cutting down a seat post

markyhud
markyhud Posts: 98
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have finally taken the plunge into full suspension and ordered a Giant Anthem X2 2012 from Ash Cycles. I sat on an Anthem X in a local shop and the Medium was a spot on fit apart from the seat post. It is spot on height for me but is at lowest setting. The lad in the shop said they quite often have to cut down excessively long posts on the Giant and Cube bikes. So I'm looking to chop off an inch or two when mine arrives just so i can lower it for DH sections.
Then I started thinking..........is this right to do this?? Surely it will be OK........I should have thought about this before spending £1300........ :oops: Is this common to have to cut them down and is it OK to do this?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, is fine - mark, cut, file the edges. But remember that the minimum insertion line no longer has meaning. You should have 3 inches of post minimum in the frame.
  • Phew. Thank f@€k for that!!! Thought it would be fine but just wanted to check. Just got to flog my hardtail now!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Worth remaking a very obvious new min insertion mark for the future......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is also worth checking what the frame makers say if anything as some also state min insertion depths.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I did it with my HT due to the bottle bosses and it's been fine. Nice avatar pic btw :D
  • Thanks for all ideas!
    anj132 wrote:
    I did it with my HT due to the bottle bosses and it's been fine. Nice avatar pic btw :D

It took me ages to do that avatar and used my bestest pencils and kept in the lines