29er wheelset

JokerZero
JokerZero Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Trail riding on my 29 ht is great fun and its a good climber etc, but the stock wheels (2010 Giant XTC 29er 1) are pretty heavy.
Stan’s have declared the stock rims 'unconvertible' and ghetto tubeless is too much trouble/effort on these things.

So, time to treat myself to a lighter wheelset.

Im about 190lb in gear so super light race wheels are out, so I'm thinking either something custom with Stan's Arch rims or the new Mavic Crossmax 29 ST looks v nice with a 'fore' rim that makes tubeless a breeze, but then Mavics are all proprietary, meaning a long wait for an expensive repair.

Any recommendations or thoughts on these, especially a hub and spoke recommendation. Love hope gear and Hope Pro IIs looks great and has a solid rep, I just dont think much of the freewheel click as I really love the sound of tyre on berm.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    American Classics would be my choice for a built wheelset.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • which ones?
  • benpinnick
    All their wheelsets are the nuts, so its really about budget.... How much do you want to spend?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Eithe the American classics AM or these
    69005.jpg as nice and light and super easy to set up tubeless a bargain at £449 on CRC
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Stans super deal on Superstar will get you the Crest or Flow 29ers in white on their Switch EVO hubs for £200.
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    I weigh about 230lbs naked, before I pile on camelbak and gear. My wheels are Stan's Flows laced to SRAM X9 hubs and I've been riding them for about a year with no issues. Wheels are still true even after many many rooty rocky miles.
  • oodboo wrote:
    Stans super deal on Superstar will get you the Crest or Flow 29ers in white on their Switch EVO hubs for £200.

they dont seem to state 29er, still a great site though - thanks for the link.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    All their wheelsets are the nuts, so its really about budget.... How much do you want to spend?

Well the Mavics are £580 so less than that :-)
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    69005.jpg as nice and light and super easy to set up tubeless a bargain at £449 on CRC

Those are crank Bros arnt they -v cool looking, but Ive read that they taco at my weight....
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    JokerZero wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

they dont seem to state 29er, still a great site though - thanks for the link.
    There's a pull down menu of options, 29er rims are listed in that.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    JokerZero wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Those are crank Bros arnt they -v cool looking, but Ive read that they taco at my weight....
    Those wheels were made for this guy
    t-pain-bling-268x300.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    For your weight probably the all mountains are best.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • hmm those things weigh in at 2020g I was thinking more 1700-1800g to be worth spending the cash, looks like Im gonna have to cut down on the beer and pizza.
  • benpinnick
    Which ones? The amclassics weight 1750g
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Your right, dodgy review page. Looks like these have a better reliability rep than the mavics too, although a little more trouble seating tyres.

That might be a decision right there. Thanks
  • benpinnick
    To be fair, I weigh 12.5 stone and I'd be happy to ride much lighter wheels like the amclassic race.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    cooldad wrote:
    JokerZero wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Those wheels were made for this guy
    t-pain-bling-268x300.jpg
    stop nicking my pictures off facebook!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty