Also Jered and Ashley Gruber have produced this film of the Muro di Sormano

http://topsy.com/vimeo.com/50335883

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    to whet the appetite...

Bettini - 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUwQSQHiKs

Heh... Great (small?) minds, and all that: posted that yesterday in viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12880442&start=60.... Already booted to page 2...
    The recent death of Bettini's bro just added to the whole scenario...
  • shoot, missed that :oops:

oh well, at least the Gruber's vid is new - its a rather good one
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    oh well, at least the Gruber's vid is new - its a rather good one

Nice.
    (Think that climb might rule Stannard out. If he's riding, it's going to look like someone's hauling a wardrobe up the hill...)

Will this trend for PR agency created "road art" squeeze out the traditional co€k & balls/syringes, etc?
  • ha! pulleys 'n all for Stannard. Unfortunately for the local haulage companies, he's not riding.

Sky's line-up: Michael Barry (presumably his last ride unless Sky are evil and send him to Beijing), Sergio Henao, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Danny Pate, Richie Porte, Salvatore Puccio, Rigoberto Urán
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Sky's line-up: Michael Barry (presumably his last ride unless Sky are evil and send him to Beijing), Sergio Henao, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Danny Pate, Richie Porte, Salvatore Puccio, Rigoberto Urán
    When was it announced Barry would ride? The last provisional starter list I saw, had for Sky all the rest of the names you give, but it included Wiggins, not Barry.
    If Wiggins isn't there, and Rodriquez finishes in the top 9, then he'll take over top spot in the World Tour rankings.
    So it might be Wiggins who's off to Beijing!
    Pity if Wiggins isn't in Lombardy, because their duel would add an extra element to the race.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2012
    line up is as per the Sky website this morning....

I think Wiggins is truly done for the season, the Worlds RR confirmed that. He'd be in no state of form to provide any competion in any duel tomorrow. I''ll put my mortgage on the fact that he wont be going anywhere near Beijing. He (or Sky) are not arsed about the individual WT rankings...team rankings, different story....
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Wiggins definitely isn't doing Lombardy, and I really can't see him going to Beijing! Rodriguez was in good form at Milan-Torino, so you'd expect a top 10 from him. It would be interesting to see if there was a little group sprinting for say 8th, whether or not Rodriguez would go all out for it.
  • Tks for Jered's vid. That climb looks beautiful, perfect for fans and the paint work is super. I'm not so happy about this beastly a climb in a classic tho - way too selective. Lucky it is not that close to the finish.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador recce'd the last 100km of the race yday. 'Tough with technical descents'
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Watch out for these:

dmt+4.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Watch out for these:

dmt+4.jpg
    So just his legs are going???

Its Gilbert - you little tease.
    Can I upgrade???
  • "The Muro is very hard and descent is testing too. On Saturday a small group of 10-15 riders could go away and the race will be over for everyone else," Contador predicted to Gazzetta dello Sport.

"We might use a 36 chain ring at the front and a 28 or even a 30 behind."

Riis did not ride the Sormano but joined Contador on the bike for the final 70km of the race route. The moody Dane told Gazzetta that he thought the Sormano was too hard to be used in a major race.

"It's going to be a shock for anyone who doesn't know the climb. I think it's too hard, it's excessive," Riis said.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Can't see anyone but pip taking this.
  • Watch out for these:

dmt+4.jpg

Frenchie posting pictures of his legs again? :wink:

On a more serious note...the Sormano is hard, but it's a long way from the finish. I think we'll see a selection, but the final selection will still be made on the final climb. Unless one of the favourites can get a few team mates over the climb with them then their chances of staying away are very slim. Nibali tried a long one last year which didn't work.

I toyed with the idea of picking Contador for PTP, but think Gilbert will win it.

Weather is looking OK, with light winds and just the possibility of showers. Most riders will hope it stays dry, those descents are pretty treacherous

Bring it on.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Turfle
    I can see a scenario where a group of Contador, JRod, Moreno, Uran, Henao, Nibali, and others are ahead of Gilbert at the summit of the Sormano. Whether they'd work well enough together to stay ahead is another matter.

It's a shame neither Sagan nor EBH are riding. It would have been interesting to see how far they could have got; especially EBH with the form he's in, and the climbing form he's shown this year.
  • Sagan seems to be (relatively-speaking) a little off top form. Hardly surprising given that his year was built around peaking for the Tour - and given his age...

Shame about EBH...I thought his omission might be so that Uran and Henao are really given full backing to go for it...looking at the Sky site and the race roster up to Beijing, EBH isnt listed in any other races at present...
  • rick_chasey
    Sagan seems to be (relatively-speaking) a little off top form. Hardly surprising given that his year was built around peaking for the Tour - and given his age...

Shame about EBH...I thought his omission might be so that Uran and Henao are really given full backing to go for it...looking at the Sky site and the race roster up to Beijing, EBH isnt listed in any other races at present...

What was I saying about Lombardy?
  • I am looking high and low for a reason not to select PhilGil, and I have yet to find one*

*I only wish I was posting this in the PTP thread :)
  • Sagan seems to be (relatively-speaking) a little off top form. Hardly surprising given that his year was built around peaking for the Tour - and given his age...

What was I saying about Lombardy?

:wink:
    Rick, you are wise beyond your years
  • line up is as per the Sky website this morning....

Strange as Barry updated his blog today with confirmation that he is done and dusted.

http://michaelbarry.ca/2012/09/the-last ... e-numbers/
  • Turfle
    It might be EBH after all!

Martinelli is with them for the rest of the Italian races, so maybe he'll make up the numbers.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Valv.Piti out for tomorrow due to a virus
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    iainf72 wrote:
    Valv.Piti out for tomorrow due to a virus
    Has he ridden in Italy since his return?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • His allergy to racing in Italy must be playing up.
  • dodgy weather forecast for tomorrow by any chance?
  • rick_chasey
    Why are the Italian monuments always on a Saturday?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Popes always busy on Sunday afternoon, so he asked if they could do it on a Saturday.

[I don't know really]
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    dodgy weather forecast for tomorrow by any chance?

Bit of rain, no wind according to this:

http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Ita ... -Como.aspx
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    If on a Sunday, I might not go to the partita; I'd be in front of the telly.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Watch out for these:

dmt+4.jpg

He's got some new ones, Imelda

A34_A4VCQAAckAS.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95