Threadlock on headset?

Tricycleboy
Tricycleboy Posts: 373
edited October 2012 in Workshop
I have a campag threaded headset and it keeps loosening after only 30miles of riding. Without wishing to tighten it to the point that i feel i am in danger of damaging anything or a small slip rounding out the locknut, would a bit of threadlock on the locknut/ race threads help to prevent this undoing itself quite so easily? Its a 20 year old very good quality headset that after a recent cleaning is now running very smoothly so i'm loathe to change it for something else because of this small issue.

Any recommendations on a suitable product? Obviously i don't want it stuck fast forever, but remaining tight would definitely be a good thing.

Any thoughts/ help gratefully recieved!

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    the washer with the tab that sits in the slot on a threaded steerer should stop it, never mind the locknut

the thread could be on its way out, the fork is steel and the headset is alloy, so odds on its the soft alloy parts

but make sure all the parts are there
  • Will check the washer- although i don't recall it having a tab in it. There is a thin washer but maybe i am missing something else that goes between the upper race and the locknut.

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have a campag threaded headset and it keeps loosening after only 30miles of riding. Without wishing to tighten it to the point that i feel i am in danger of damaging anything or a small slip rounding out the locknut, would a bit of threadlock on the locknut/ race threads help to prevent this undoing itself quite so easily? Its a 20 year old very good quality headset that after a recent cleaning is now running very smoothly so i'm loathe to change it for something else because of this small issue.

Any recommendations on a suitable product? Obviously i don't want it stuck fast forever, but remaining tight would definitely be a good thing.

Any thoughts/ help gratefully recieved!
    headtype18.jpg
    http://www.parktool.com/uploads/images/ ... type18.jpg

I would not use any threadlock.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yep definitely got all of that stuff nicklouse. Just the washer doesn't have a tab in it- which does sound like it would allow the rotation.

Think maybe a trip to the spares bin in the LBS maybe in order!

Thanks again
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Tarted up an old Peugeot with my son; replaced the rusted headset with a cheapo Ritchey one, but it wouldn't stay tight. (there's a tab on the washer but no groove in the fork) Wrapped a bit of plumber's PTFE tape round the threads and that's stopped it loosening.
  • Thanks for the help folks. Took apart the headset from an old frame i had and nicked the washer with a tab and transplanted.

Tight as a drum now! Thanks for talking me out of the threadlock solution! :D