whats the biggest ring i can fit on the front?

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi whats the biggest ring i can fit on the front and any other info would help i would like more speed

current set up if this helps

Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M660 SLX, E-type for DMD, top swing, bottom pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M662 SLX Shadow, long cage
Number of Gears: 27
Shifters: Shimano SL-M430 Alivio, 9-speed, trigger
Chainset: Shimano FC-M430, Octalink spline, replaceable rings, m 175mm crank arms
Chainrings: 44 x 32 x 22
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing
Cassette: Shimano HG30 or might be hg50, 9-speed, 11-34
Chain: KMC X9, 9-speed, with reusable Missing Link

thanks for any in fo
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• being an e-type mech you should be able to find out its maximum tooth recomendation, as its fixed in place its not as easy as putting a bigger ring on and moving the mech to suit! i'd guess something around 46t with that mech??

guessing your running out of gears if you want more speed?? and riding on roads/canal paths?
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are just about stuck with what you have as it is direct mount. so no adjustment.

is it Etype fitting or is it direct?

you mention both so i guess you don't really know so go have a look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sigorman85
    il post a pic up as it would help. an yes not enough gears i use the bike to get to work some days and also use it for xc on weekends so its a do all bike i dont really want to buy a road bike as is not my thing but i have looked lol (sorry)
    im quite fit and dont mind the sacrifice of big rings would a 2x10 help me? (noooob)
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    At a cadence of around 100 you'd be doing well over 30mph. How fast do you want to go?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    im quite fit and dont mind the sacrifice of big rings would a 2x10 help me? (noooob)

huh? 2x10 you'd be getting rid of your 44t ring and just have the 22t granny and 32t middle to use
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • sigorman85
    Erm can you get a big ring and middle ring that's bigger than what's on it already? And 10 on the rear

• cooldad
    Changing to 10 would mean new rings, cassette, chain, mechs and shifters. So not a good idea.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    Changing to 10 would mean new rings, cassette, chain, mechs and shifters. So not a good idea.
    and not any bigger gears as the small cog is still the same size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • sigorman85
    So what's the plan then guys? Erm sarcastic comments to follow no doubt

• nicklouse
    waiting for you to provide the info i asked for.

Or get a road bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Learn to pedal faster....

You need to clarify if your mech is E-type (mounting plate to the BB) or direct mount (bolted to seat tube, NOT clamped round it), how can we tell you what you can fit unless we know what it's fitting with?

The top gear is defined by smallest sprocket at rear (11t unless you want to spend a fortune) and the largest ring at the front (dictated by said mech)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    At a cadence of around 100 you'd be doing well over 30mph. How fast do you want to go?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85

• sigorman85
    Sorry for tha bad pic but was taken on the phone

• It looks like a direct mount, But, Also Looks like you bb isn't in prperly?? What's the red down on the bb area? Looks like gaps between the spacers??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • sigorman85
    Mrp bash guard

• sigorman85

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless you can move the mech up on it's direct mounts it looks like your stuck at the ring size you have now, however I don't think you need to change gearing, my commuter runs a 46/11 top gear and I only use top gear downhills when I've logged 40mph, just learn to pedal faster!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sigorman85
    What like sonic legs?

• Nope, he's got gangly pigeon legs.
  • He is pretty fast though when he gets going
    Papa? Nicole
  • sigorman85
    haahhaah

• anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    sigorman85 wrote:
    What like sonic legs?

haha exactly that, crouch and smash a+b+c :D