Ramp Test Max HR

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
so tonight i decided i need to do the ramp test to help deternmine my Max Hr and therefore some training zones for the winter.

The test went pretty good and i was wrecked at the end and i wasn't able to pedal anymore. My HR maxed out at 182bpm. The issue I have is that I have had my HR up closer to the 187 mark on a few events this year. Does this suggest I simply didn't try har enough on the test or did I do something wrong or can you actually exceed your tested "max" hr ( That final option just sounds rediculous tbh)

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Does this suggest I simply didn't try har enough on the test

Pretty much.
  • danowat wrote:
    Does this suggest I simply didn't try har enough on the test

Pretty much.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. It may be that HR simply did not max out, despite being unable to push any harder, or that the other readings are erroneous (need to examine the context of those other readings to assess that). There are many things that can influence heart rate response, and some that of course can influence the HRM.

I would suggest setting training levels based on the test, then using own assessment as to whether training at those levels is about right when compared to descriptions of perceived exertion. If they seem a little easier/harder than that, then adjust the training "zones" accordingly. Keep in mind the normal daily variance in HR response, and that the levels should be fairly broad in any case.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    The Ramp Test is done on a turbo right?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • yes.
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • so tonight i decided i need to do the ramp test to help deternmine my Max Hr and therefore some training zones for the winter.

The test went pretty good and i was wrecked at the end and i wasn't able to pedal anymore. My HR maxed out at 182bpm. The issue I have is that I have had my HR up closer to the 187 mark on a few events this year. Does this suggest I simply didn't try har enough on the test or did I do something wrong or can you actually exceed your tested "max" hr ( That final option just sounds rediculous tbh)

Did you do the test indoors? If so what was the temperature and did you use an effective fan?
  • I did the test on the turbo in the garage but without a fan.

no idea what the temp was
    so tonight i decided i need to do the ramp test to help deternmine my Max Hr and therefore some training zones for the winter.

Did you do the test indoors? If so what was the temperature and did you use an effective fan?
  • As someone said earlier, many things affect heart rate. You would expect overheating to increase heart rate but many find it difficult to match indoor heart rates to outdoor heart rates or indoor power to outdoor power.

I would invest in a good fan. The effect of outdoor air cooling is considerable. You may find it better to base indoor heart rates on your indoor heart rate rather than on your max outdoor heart rate.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    I don't know if there is any relevance to this but I notice that my max heart rate drops when hills go beyond a certain steepness. I can push to around 190 bpm on a 7-8% grade but HR drops below 180 on a 10-12% grade. My assumption is that I can't work efficiently on the steeper grades due to gearing, weight so heart is not at full capacity. Maybe this explains the difference between what the OP sees on the turbo and road?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof wrote:
    I don't know if there is any relevance to this but I notice that my max heart rate drops when hills go beyond a certain steepness. I can push to around 190 bpm on a 7-8% grade but HR drops below 180 on a 10-12% grade. My assumption is that I can't work efficiently on the steeper grades due to gearing, weight so heart is not at full capacity. Maybe this explains the difference between what the OP sees on the turbo and road?

Some people find this running up steep hills. Almost as if the heart has an optimal rpm / stroke volume for the steepest hill. As the hill eases off the heart rate increases even though the perceived effort seems less.

Shame we can't easily measure stroke volume like we can heart rate whilst running or cycling.