Garmin Edge 500- best simple training software?

Mefster
Mefster Posts: 54
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
I've recently bought a Garmin Edge 500 to replace my ailing Polar s625x. I didn't like the random speed and HR readings my Polar had been giving of late, but I did like the Polar precision performance software.

I'm now deciding which of the different training software packages will best suit my needs. I would like to use something that offers the facility to store and display data in graphical form like the Polar Precision Performance, but is not over complicated.

I've also noticed that many of the new software packages are web based, which is great for backing up data, but I'd like to have the option to upload data offline, so if I'm in the middle of nowhere I can still upload and interpret data without an Internet connection.

It would also be handy if the software didn't need too much processing power so I can run it on my little XP netbook.

I know TrainingPeaks gets good reviews, but I wonder if it might be a little complex for my requirements. Garmin Connect looks interesting too.

Is there a simple, reliable package which can be used with my Garmin both on and offline?

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    If you don't have a powermeter, Sport tracks, if you do, Golden Cheetah.
  • Garmin Connect is good.

I also use SportTracks with a power meter. If you select the right plug-ins SportTracks will do what Golden Cheetah does
  • Thanks for the response guys. I don't have a power meter and can't see myself getting one unless prices drop dramatically.

Can you download SportTracks and then use it offline?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Yes, you can.