Cadbury Dairy Milk

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
I bought a bar of Cadbury Dary Milk at m40 Warwick Services on the way home from the Cycle Show at the NEC. Disappointed with the flavour, something just not quite right.

Post Kraft, have they been buggering about with the recipe or has my palate 'moved on', so to speak?

Not happy :(

Comments

• Used to live a couple of streets away from the Cadbury factory in Bournville a few years ago. You could smell the chocolate. I would take a shortcut through the factory grounds on my bike and the air would be heavy with the smell, it was wonderful.

That was before those b@stards at Kraft got hold of it. They're probably trying to turn it into American puke like Hershey's
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I am quite an expert on chocolate. I eat it several times a day. I've even got a Cadbury's factory shop not five minutes away from where I work.

It's definitely changed. It's got a lot sweeter (too sweet in my opinion) and I've gone right off it. I've now shifted my loyalties to Hotel Chocolat and go for the quality rather than the quantity.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    'Particular outrage over the orange truffle and hazelnut whirl' in Milk Tray, fumes the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urore.html
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I don't know if it has changed .. I'm not going to speculate like everyone else, but your taste does change depending on what you've previously eaten, if you're run down or sick, you loose tastebuds over the years, or even depending on your mood. Oh and nostalgia makes everything seem like it used to be better.

It's possible some of the Cadburys chocolate made in Dublin could be getting into GB .. check your wrappers .. it definitely tastes different.

If you're hungry enough it'll still taste glorious!

To me confectionary became a lot less appealing when they started packaging it in plastic rather than foil and paper .. that was an integral part of the eating experience.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • I think it has changed
    probably using more palm oil
  • dw300 wrote:
    I don't know if it has changed .. I'm not going to speculate like everyone else, but your taste does change depending on what you've previously eaten, if you're run down or sick, you loose tastebuds over the years, or even depending on your mood. Oh and nostalgia makes everything seem like it used to be better.

It's possible some of the Cadburys chocolate made in Dublin could be getting into GB .. check your wrappers .. it definitely tastes different.

If you're hungry enough it'll still taste glorious!

To me confectionary became a lot less appealing when they started packaging it in plastic rather than foil and paper .. that was an integral part of the eating experience.

This.

Carefully unwrapping the prize, flattening out the foil afterwards all part of the enjoyment. Also a bit like tea in a china cup and wine/beer in a proper glass it doesn't taste the same any other way.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • msmancunia wrote:
    I am quite an expert on chocolate. I eat it several times a day. I've even got a Cadbury's factory shop not five minutes away from where I work.

It's definitely changed. It's got a lot sweeter (too sweet in my opinion) and I've gone right off it. I've now shifted my loyalties to Hotel Chocolat and go for the quality rather than the quantity.

Yes I've also noticed a difference... and have gone off it.

Hotel Chocolat is very good, but a bit on the expensive side and not that easy to buy in the shops.

Green & Blacks is a good quality product that you can buy in most shops/supermarkets..... but prefer the dark myself.

The best chocolate that I get is from a friend who's family lives in Sicilla; about once per year I get handmade dark chilli chocolate from a local chocolatier which is amazing. I've tried a few other commercial dark chilli chocolate but they are not as good. Small chocolatier's seem common in other parts of Europe, but I haven't seen any in the UK.
    Simon
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Never was a huge fan of Cadbury's always found it a little too sweet, now it's even worse. I did try some of Aldi's stuff and really liked it, so tend to stick to that.
  • Small chocolatier's seem common in other parts of Europe, but I haven't seen any in the UK.
    There's one in Grantully! :wink:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Always good going to see OH family, they live by Bournville. Can't say i've noticed any difference in taste but don't have Cadbury's often, more Milka (with Diam bar bits in) or Hotel chocolate person.

Wouldn't it be getting less sweet if it was the yanks meddling with recipe? they don't do the sweet stuff like here.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Its horrible stuff now, sets my teeth on edge just to bite into a Dairy Milk bar. To get decent chocolate you now have to cough up a bit. IMHO Hotel Chocolat is the best stuff. Pricey but all the good things in life come at a premium.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    Green & Blacks is a good quality product that you can buy in most shops/supermarkets.....

There's your answer... :D
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    You see, I think the taste of Green and Blacks has changed too. But then, it is owned by Cadbury's these days.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Yeah, I don't know what all the fuss about green and blacks is. I didn't know it was owned by Cadbury, but it does taste similar. I quite like Lindt if I'm in the mood for something very sweet; their stuff with caramel in it is nice (but sweet)
  • msmancunia wrote:

I don't get why the shapes of the bars have changed. At least Thorntons and HC don't mess with a working formula :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Lidl plantation chocolate - Ecuador, Colombia etc etc. Since I have got older, I have gone off milk chocolate.

Try this as an alternative to Drinking chocolate or Cocoa: Three quarters of a single square of Lindt dark or plantation chocolate broken up into small bits at the bottom of a mug. Fill the mug up with hot milk and whisk till the dark chocoalte has melted. Magic. Not sweet and you get the full flavour of the dark chocolate.
    Its an anti-oxidant too so I can eat it all the time without worrying about heart disease or cholesteroll/going slow on the bike.
    Milk choco is 27% cocoa solids max. Yeargh.

PS Dark chocolate Hob Nobs are the dogs b0ll0x, mutts nuts, cahonas del perro, les boules de chien...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Fruit & Nut, you know it makes sense!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Milkybar white chocolate mmmm can hear the enamel on my teeth cracking.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    jawooga wrote:
    Yeah, I don't know what all the fuss about green and blacks is. I didn't know it was owned by Cadbury, but it does taste similar. I quite like Lindt if I'm in the mood for something very sweet; their stuff with caramel in it is nice (but sweet)
    The Lindt 70% Dark is my perfect mix of sweet and bitter. YMMV.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    GD Grosse chocolate from lidl - is fantastic - especially their 80% stuff
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Lindt bunny everytime!

Can't say I eat a lot of Cadburys alone, I'm more of a starbar/boost guy.
  • Ooh lindt bunnies.

I cant go a day without chocolate - I even have a bar for breakfast - but thats another story :D

My gripe (not be confused with ipples) is teh size of the bars - they've got diddy wee, freddo frogs are tiny - they shou;d be freddo tadpoles.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Fruit & Nut, you know it makes sense!

F&N is, indeed, still tasty.
  • pinno
    Ooh lindt bunnies.

I cant go a day without chocolate - I even have a bar for breakfast - but thats another story :D

My gripe (not be confused with ipples) is teh size of the bars - they've got diddy wee, freddo frogs are tiny - they shou;d be freddo tadpoles.

Pi$$ed again Cleat ?!
  • pinno
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    GD Grosse chocolate from lidl - is fantastic - especially their 80% stuff

JD Gross - you pi$$ed too ?!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I quite like Galaxy chocolate, much nicer than Dairy Milk :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Co-op do nice own range choc bars, my favourite is the orange. Divine choc is very nice and fair trade as well.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Yorkies for me.

Only kidding: Hotel Chocolat all the way.

If you ever want a chuckle, go into HC at about 5-6pm on a Friday evening and note the demographic. It'll be 50% men buying for their wives (better than flowers!) and 50% middle-aged single women. :D
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Next time you eat Cadburys or Galaxy, see if you can taste the Vegetable fat?

Jilly Goulden on the Food & Drink Show in the 90's did a show when they explained about chocolate and how to differentiate with the best, put me off shite chocolate for ever!

Did any one watch that program on Willie's Cacao a couple of years ago, really interesting and really lovely Chocolate