Boardman AiR

13en
13en Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Your road bikes
Here's a few pics of my new Boardman AiR Pro Carbon. Yeah, it's from Halfords, but it's still a bloody good bike. Had to take a bit of a guess on the size since they don't seem to keep this model in stock at any stores but the large fits quite nicely. Extremely good price for the spec, particularly after using the 10% British Cycling discount at Halfords. Done around 400 miles in the month or so since I bought it, so far so good.

DSC_2581.jpg
In the sun.

DSC_2584.jpg
A bit less in the sun. Begging for some deeper section wheels though. Maybe a Christmas present to myself...

DSC_2582.jpg
Pretty clean from the front.

DSC_2583.jpg
I wasn't sure about the blue and yellow, but I kind of like it now.

DSC_2587.jpg
FSA energy double chainset. I'm used to a compact, so it was pretty fun taking this on my club trip to Wales the other week...

DSC_2589.jpg
Big boxy chainstays. Stiff as.

DSC_2590.jpg
Ultegra throughout, not bad for less than £1500.

DSC_2591.jpg
Rather beefy around the bottom bracket.

DSC_2560.jpg
At home with it's friend, which is going to be properly winter-fied before too long.

DSC_2572.jpg
The frame design leaves a nice spot for the CO2 cannister.

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    some good pics there.
  • You'll encounter plenty of Halfords snobs but that is a lovely looking bike and I haven't read a bad review.

Looks like a real head-down race bike.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Looks great and is a lot of bike for the money. You're right about the deep section rims, they'd really compliment the beefy frame :-)
  • frame mounted tools tell me you lack panache :wink:

(and the chain is far too dirty for such a nice bike)
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Nice bike! I love the Boardmans - even though they're still too expensive for me, the stuff you get for the price is much better than any other brand...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    frame mounted tools tell me you lack panache :wink:

(and the chain is far too dirty for such a nice bike)

Never mind the chain - the frame, the front mech - grubby I tells ya! I wouldn't stand for that level of muck on my Ribble and that's got 5000 commuting miles under its belt, rain and shine!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • These bikes have a great value proposition to the many rational folks who are not sticker snobs. Their frames are made in factories right beside 90% of anything else on the street. So no lineage issues, but they just leave me cold. My blood doesn't boil to ride one. I'd love to ride one to see how nice they probably are, but even if it rode as well as a C59, when the Boardman was leaning against the wall it wouldn't should "ride me" as much as a couple bike I've owned have. I think it has more to do with Boardman himself than Halfords. Boardman was a cold, clinical rider who never showed much panache even when he won. He was, let's face it, rather boring. The blue steel finish of the bike is also quite cool and stand-offish. Bugno, Cipollini, Zabel, Pantani, Durand, Bartoli were all exciting riders of this era. And some of them have frames to their name. If the name "Wiggins" was on the downtuve, would that make a bike more desireable?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Nice bike, saw one of these the weekend and was impressed with it.

My LBS has started stocking the Boardman Elite range alongside Pinarellos and the like.
  • 13en
    I knew the close up pictures were a bad idea :wink:
  • Look nice, funny how we seem to have bike hanging on the wall with a guitar pricariously placed under neath.
    P1160280_zps49fa361b.jpg
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    The blue steel finish of the bike is also quite cool and stand-offish.

It looks truly insipid in the flesh.
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

:lol:
  • Look nice, funny how we seem to have bike hanging on the wall with a guitar pricariously placed under neath.
    P1160280_zps49fa361b.jpg

Your right hand wall hanger is mounted upside down. If you're not careful the whole house might collapse.
  • Guitar?? That's a Gibson Flying V ukilele!!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • 13en
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

I think it's a pretty neutral colour: it doesn't wow you, but it's not horrible either. But then I also have a car that's almost exactly the same colour so maybe I just have funny taste.
    Guitar?? That's a Gibson Flying V ukilele!!

The Mahalo twenty quid special! If I'm very lucky it holds it's tuning for 5 minutes :lol:
  • i know its upside down if i put it the right way up the b ike ends up too high and the pedals hit the other bike so i left it that way. House will probably collapse anyway as it was built by the spanish.
  • House will probably collapse anyway as it was built by the spanish.

Hahahahaa!
  • Hi
    You talked about 10% from British Cycling, how long does this take to process from when you join BC to begining able to apply the code.

Also, at what stage do you apply your code to Halfords (online or instore)
    Thanks
    Ribble Stealth R872 (105 Groupset)
    Bob Jackson 1984 Winter Commute
  • 13en
    I think you can get it as soon as the membership is activated. There's just a voucher you need to print off, give it to them at the shop and you get your 10% off at the till. I don't think you can use it online.
  • ok cheers, will decide after NEC show this weekend
    Ribble Stealth R872 (105 Groupset)
    Bob Jackson 1984 Winter Commute