Cloning/Copying Hard Drive - How to?

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
I am sure there are quite a few IT experts on Radar.
I need to clone/copy the entire contents (programmes and files) of my laptop to an external hard drive. I am going to purchase a 500gig external drive (any recommendations - welcome budget £40-£50).
Could someone please tell me how to do the cloning. Are there free to download programmes that I can perform the operation? Any help gratefully received.
Hope that makes sense.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Arconis (i assume you r PC and not MAC ?)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/288349-acronis-tr ... -tihrb3uks

I have used this program on many occasions, both backup and restore (you dont need a copy of your operating system, just a bootable disc (which is the install one)
    it doesnt matter if the new drive is bigger than the cloned one and it is so easy to use to either backup or restore.

ebuyer will also have a drive that will suit your budget - i cant recommend any freeware programs.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Normally you just need to backup your own files and any downloaded software.
    There are times when you need a byte for byte clone of a disc, operating system and all. I have done this on Unix systems, prepping disks from a master for distribution to clients. The latest MS Windows OS may not like being cloned.
  • carbon copy cloner - google it - free and very good
  • carbon copy cloner - google it - free and very good

I hope the carbon doesn't melt in the rain. I'll blame Wiggle if you lose your data.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Paragon Drive Copy was a freebie I have used successfully. :D
    NB. when your new drive is replaced, you may also need to go into the BIOS system settings to get your pc to recognise the new drive. (normally by pressing F2 during the boot sequence).
    Cycling weakly