Not shifing to larger chainring

yeachan153
yeachan153 Posts: 401
edited September 2012 in Workshop
Hi guys

I have a double chainset, the FD is installed properly. When its on the workstand & upside down it shifts perfectly. The problem is when I ride the bike, it won't shift to the highest chainring.

I'm very confused with this.. What's going on?!

Comments

• Have you tried tightening the cable and/or adjusting the limit screw?

PS - Is the cable tight in the anchor bolt and routed correctly?
  • Yes it is tight in the anchor bolt and routed correctly. I will try tightening the cable again; it already feels very tight though?

I did play around with the limit screw, and on the occasions where it actually shifts the chain just falls off the other side. I can't get it to reliably shift to the big chainring and stay there
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Cable routing and tension are key limit screws will help with the overshift
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • How tight should tension be?
  • What groupset do you have?
  • Simple way.
    1. put the chain on the smallest cog.
    2. unscrew the cable releasing the tension.
    3. move the lower limit screw in/out to make sure the chain lines up with the small cog its on. if its out then it will have trouble shifting up-or down depending on which way the alignment is going.
    4. once set, screw all the way in the cable adjuster screw then turn out two small turns.
    5. pull the cable as hard as you can and tighten up the cable screw (makse sure the shifter is in it lowest position-should be if you shifted to the smallest cog to begin with)
    6. shift up as far as you can go, if it doesnt shift to the largest cog, then use the upper limit screw to move the derailluer up until it does.
    7. now shift all the way back down, then all the way back up, checking chain shifting as you go.
    8. if the chain hesitates either way, then twist the cable adjuster screw half a turn each time and re-check. make a note of which way you have turned the screw in case you need to turn it back.

Should be fine after this
  • greentea wrote:
    Simple way.
    1. put the chain on the smallest cog.
    2. unscrew the cable releasing the tension.
    3. move the lower limit screw in/out to make sure the chain lines up with the small cog its on. if its out then it will have trouble shifting up-or down depending on which way the alignment is going.
    4. once set, screw all the way in the cable adjuster screw then turn out two small turns.
    5. pull the cable as hard as you can and tighten up the cable screw (makse sure the shifter is in it lowest position-should be if you shifted to the smallest cog to begin with)
    6. shift up as far as you can go, if it doesnt shift to the largest cog, then use the upper limit screw to move the derailluer up until it does.
    7. now shift all the way back down, then all the way back up, checking chain shifting as you go.
    8. if the chain hesitates either way, then twist the cable adjuster screw half a turn each time and re-check. make a note of which way you have turned the screw in case you need to turn it back.

Should be fine after this

Simple, yet effective description!
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/