2014 Worlds

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2012 in Pro race
UCI are exploring other options as it looks like Spain might have some trouble paying to host it.

Which is a pity as it's a belter of a course.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Yeh that'd be a shame, the TT course was a particular gooden from the sound of it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Come on BC, now's the perfect time to go for it and you know it!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Where would you host it in GB? Im guessing London wouldnt be an option what with 5 days of road closures.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Depends on how big the host town has to be I guess. It is just outside peak tourist season so many of the places with great cycling terrain (Lakes, N Yorks, parts of Scotland) should be fairly quiet but also have a decent amount of accommodation.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Manchester - they closed the Mancunian way flyover for a skyride for a whole sunday morning, so they could do the TT in the city centre and the RR in the hills going east out of town

home of British cycling, loads of hotels
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Who wants to start a chip in to raise the €15m required?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Ireland

Who wants to start a chip in to raise the €15m required?

Oh!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    I would say a smaller place would be best as this years was great, Durham would be pretty good, and Newcastle have closed roads for the milk race / TOB in the past.

A ride round the peaks would be good and Derbyshire CC has the highest financial reserves of any local authority.

i doubt they will though...
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    You'd think Yorkshire/Surrey would look to stop bidding for 2017 or whenever it was and try to get this on the cheap as it's fairly short notice.

Think either place would have the ability to set it up for next week if it was required. When it comes to hosting major events the UK is possibly one of the few places that can pull it off do a job even at short notice. It was well documented that the UK would have been able to host the Euro Champs if anything prevented Poland/Ukraine to do so within a few weeks notice.
  • Very hard for any state agency to justify it if that is the cost, at least not without serious commercial sponsorship.

I know cycling is on the up in this country, but still.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Yorkshire have been campaigning big time to get the TDF to start oop norf. The Worlds in 2014 might potentially be just as lucrative.... Would surely be possible for them to taget one or both. Host countries generally make a profit of the even via local encomy unless you are in the a**e end of nowhere where no-one wants to go.
  • But..But....Yorkshire isn't in Ireland.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • But..But....Yorkshire isn't in Ireland.

that's true...but according to this article its possible for a Yorkshire man to turn into a Danny-Boy singing, blarney stone-kissing Irish fella

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/28 ... yorkshire/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    But..But....Yorkshire isn't in Ireland.
    Try telling Mick McCarthy that.
    Twitter: @RichN95