Car oil filter tools

kentphil
kentphil Posts: 479
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Whats the best type of car oil filter tool to use? I've seen several types: Pliers, band, chain, 3 pronged, fitted cap?
Anyone had any experience of these?

thanks in advance!
1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
2004 Giant TCR

Comments

• I have a Halfords Pro 3-pronged one which seems to work well, even when access is tight.
  • The three pronged ones are what the lads in our workshop use. I've got one myself and it's never failed to remove a filter yet. Much better than hammering a screwdriver through the filter then turning :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Tight access I use the metal band type. Check they tighten up enough to grip the filter though - mine are quite small filters so had to shim the gripper.
  • There's a Clarke 3 pronged one in Machine Mart that looks good. I did the screwdriver thing last time! Hence the need for a tool.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Screwdriver through the filter!
    They only need hand-tightening when being put on.
    I use an old chainwhip, originally made to remove a block!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I've got an old bike chain style one, which has never failed me, fits to a 1/2" ratchet and gets in tight spaces.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Screwdriver through the filter!
    They only need hand-tightening when being put on.
    I know that and you know that, but......
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Fitted cap....works everytime and has prevented me having anymore sleepless nights.

make sure you re lube the rubber seal on the replacement and use hand pressure only.
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    mamba80 wrote:
    Fitted cap....works everytime and has prevented me having anymore sleepless nights.

make sure you re lube the rubber seal on the replacement and use hand pressure only.

Agree with this man. Make sure you get the correct one for your car though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    I always used the chain type but then I haven't done an oil change in at least a decade - the joys of company cars!
  • I have the band one, don't know name, has a knurled knob that you tighten the band with, the band has raised nipples that grip the filter, very simple and easy to use.
    Mind these days my garage does it all, can't be bothered doing my own maintenance anymore.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    I once had the screwdriver through the side fail on me. Unpeeled the filter and made a godawful mess. Then had t oget hold of the base with large mole grips to get the rest off. You cannot be sure what some idiot has done before you, unless you are said idiot.
    Since that day I have always used a chain type that I inherited from my Grandfather about 25 years ago.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Pliers type works for me!