New magazine!11!!!1!!!

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
Anyone read it yet?

Looks like its aimed half way between rouleur and cycling+

8027184262_2199e2d461.jpg

and an introductory subscription offer of 3 issues for £5 is nice.

http://cyclistmag.co.uk/

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I didn't see this in WH Smiths today :(
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • andy46 wrote:

I've seen it in Tesco and Sainsbury's
  • andy46 wrote:
    Available to order in WH High Street
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I enjoyed it - good magazine, though I wonder how it'll pan out over the next few issues. Quite a lot of pretty stock articles though ("which best bib short", "which best wheel" etc) but a couple of other good articles (Wiggins and the cyclists who rode some Swiss Mountains).

The writing isnt as good as ProCycling, but it's clearly not that sort of magazine... something of a hybrid between ProCycling and Cycling Plus with a bit of Cycle Sport thrown in, with the aesthetic feel of Rouleur / Peloton!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    The front cover looks retro as hell, is that a conscious styling choice? is the rest of it like that?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • £5 - Holy Sh1t!!! Talk about bandwagon jumping.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • andy46
    Just picked up a copy today and it looks good, but at £5 an issue I don't think I'll be buying it every month.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Decided to buy a copy today in town - a helluva a lot of advert pages. will give it time as the editor says give them feedback and let them know how they can improve things.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Decided to buy a copy today in town - a helluva a lot of advert pages. will give it time as the editor says give them feedback and let them know how they can improve things.
    Reduce the price.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Reduce the price.

to be fair you can get the next 3 issues for £5 to decide if you like it or not.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not read the issue on the sofa yet, nor paid for it either :) Might go with the three for fiver deal to see how it pans out in the forthcoming issues.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    I got a copy of issue 1 for free - think it was due to me being Gen Sec of my cycling club.
    I liked it, it's a little thin but the contents were pretty good I thought - maybe it will pick up more advertisers etc so it will be a thicker mag in months to come if it's sales numbers gets high enough.
    Wiggins article to interest the masses, bit on power meters not necessarily new but not bad to pull all the ones together but not a particularly critical piece with good/bad points (reliability etc).
    I have plumped for the £5 for 3 issues offer but as I get ProCycling and Cycle Sport on subscription already I will cancel if they aren't going to add anything as I barely have time to read these mags as it is but I do like having these each month.
    It could be good but could also be a slightly more expensive mix of what is already out there.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I'll read it in the library, they usually have most mags in there.
  • Brave or foolish to be launching something in a format that is dying on it's arse, time will tell. I honestly couldn't tell you the last mag I bought in any of the hobbies or interests I have.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    thecrofter wrote:
    £5 - Holy Sh1t!!! Talk about bandwagon jumping.

Hmm, must be honest, I thought that. I received an e-mail during the Olympics - and that's what I thought.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Brave or foolish to be launching something in a format that is dying on it's ars*, time will tell. I honestly couldn't tell you the last mag I bought in any of the hobbies or interests I have.

I signed up for the £5 for 3 issues offer and they do it in Ipad version as well.

Seems like a nice mag - it will replace my Cycling Active subscription perfectly!
  • andy46
    What exactly do you get with the iPad version? I don't have an iPad yet but I am getting one at the end of the month so I was just wondering what type of extras you get.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• I read it last week laying on a sun lounger in Corfu (trying to even out my cyclist tan lines!). Throughly enjoyed it. Also it's published by the same company as my favourite car magazine, Evo.

I thought the photography accompanying the article about riding in the Swiss Alps was very good. Made me want to get out there until I remembered how much I hate the hills in Cambridgeshire let alone the Alps!
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I thought the photography accompanying the article about riding in the Swiss Alps was very good. Made me want to get out there until I remembered how much I hate the hills in Cambridgeshire let alone the Alps!
    In fairness though, if you climb a mountain in the Alps you are rewarded with a stunning and awesome view. Climb a hill in Cambridgeshire and... ;)

I know, I know, people in Essex shouldn't throw stones.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Brave or foolish to be launching something in a format that is dying on it's ars*, time will tell. I honestly couldn't tell you the last mag I bought in any of the hobbies or interests I have.

I signed up for the £5 for 3 issues offer and they do it in Ipad version as well.

Seems like a nice mag - it will replace my Cycling Active subscription perfectly!

I guess there may be survival for some in a digital format. It's just that for me very few mags manage to avoid falling into the trap of eventually repeating themselves, be it cameras, cars, bikes or gardening, after a years subcription you start to think you've read it all before..because you most probably have!
  • Had a browse through it in my local newsagents today, it seems pretty run of the mill to me.

Only a browse like. It's printed on good quality paper but I don't see why it should be £5 a go. Alright there is the subscription offer but I won't be bothering thanks very much.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Signed up for the subscription online - £5 for 3 issues plus a load of gels etc.

I did that using the code printed on a promo flyer that fell out of the 1st issue.

2nd issue arrived today but no sign of the gels. Rang them up to query it and apparently that code does not carry a gift entitlement with it! What a swizz! The code was printed on the back of their own flyer advertising the special offer!!

Anyone else had any trouble here??
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Signed up for the subscription online - £5 for 3 issues plus a load of gels etc.

I did that using the code printed on a promo flyer that fell out of the 1st issue.

2nd issue arrived today but no sign of the gels. Rang them up to query it and apparently that code does not carry a gift entitlement with it! What a swizz! The code was printed on the back of their own flyer advertising the special offer!!

Anyone else had any trouble here??

the impression I got was that only a full 12 month subscription carried a gift entitlement.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I picked up issue 1 and thought it a good read. £5? Only a quid or so more than Cycling Weekly and this is a monthly so hardly bank-breaking is it?

I'll go for the 3 for £5 + iPad too I reckon. Not surprised about the misleading offer tho. CW do that every week - sign up and get a house, car, Phillipino hand-maidens to cater for your every whim, plus 2 gel bars. *offer limited to first 100 subscribers who all happen to work here or don't exist really.
  • andyrr
    hmm, will re-read the promo stuff as I'm sure I had signed up thinking that I was both getting a great deal on the mag PLUS I was getting some gels in with the deal.

Ok, mag in front of me - page 44/45
    Get 3 issues FOR JUST £5 and receive every issue of Cyclist before it's availabel in the shops da da da .. Start your subscription today with 3 issues for jsut £5, and make sure you never miss an issue ....
    then

Your GREAT DEAL
    GEt 3 issues for just £5 (worth £15)
    Receive 24 FREE USN Vooma Energy Sachets and a USN Water Bottle (Worth £42.28)
    Save 10% on the shop price if you choose to continue your print subscription and save 90% on digital access
    Exclusive subscriber only ....
    Free delivery ..
    Plus! Add the digital editions .. for just 83p
    etc

so that would deffo lead me to believe that ALL you need to do to receive the gels is sign up for the 3 issues for £5 deal.

I'll demand my money back if I don't get my gels - sorry but their own ad is incorrect or very, very misleading at best, to me anyway.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Just so you know, Cyclist magazine is owned by Dennis Publishing, they also do Auto Express, the same mag that posted that tosh about cyclists a while back.

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/auto-express ... g-magazine

Don't worry, I'm not on some kind of march to stop people buying the mag, but I know some are sensitive to such matters and might want to know before they buy :)

I might get the iPad version, is it easy to bail out after (or just before) the 3 months?
  • andyrr
    You (and I may also) would just need to cancel the direct debit that was setup to initiate the subscription, should be simple enough.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    andyrr wrote:
    You (and I may also) would just need to cancel the direct debit that was setup to initiate the subscription, should be simple enough.

DDs? I can't be arsed with that, ah well. I prefer Tour Quarterly's approach for ipad, just buy in-app. It's sadly gone now though :(
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ok. Just had a close look at the offer, inspecting the slip of paper that fell out of issue 1.

The free gels + bottle offer is part of the 3 issues for a fiver but is limited to the first 150 subscribers, which means it's gone by now. I can't see anything that ties it only to the 12 month deal.

Safe to say you won't be getting any free gels if you sign up now.
  • andyrr
    Ah well, I got my copy free then ordered the sub deal on 26th Sept so may or may not have got in on the deal. Will have to wait and see - they did say that any free gifts could take up to 28 days to arrive.