edited September 2012 in Pro race
Now......

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18651

I know, OK! I know

but.......
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Quick skim down the page and I like the way there's always someone with some lateral thinking...a Big George confession could result in a clearance of Hincapie sportswear from Mellow Johnny's...bargains to be had!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I love that people (me included) heard it from festina girl and she's now being besieged with tweets asking her what particular piece of the the huge pile of bullsh1t we re supposed to be looking at....

Sums up everything about the clinic....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's coming for sure.

USADA will release their file soon and if you're bright, you confess before it hits the airwaves.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Say what you like about the Asylum, they do have some complete gold from time to time

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18659
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Gold is one word for it!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Jez mon
    The hicapie facebook page has some pretty funny comments...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/George-H ... 5909254699

"RETURN THE MONEY THAT LANCE GAVE YOU WHEN YOU GUYS WON THE TOUR EVERY TIME. JUDAS !!!!"
  • ooh, guess that Clinic poster's right about the effect on Hincapie Sportswear :)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    If this is true then will someone please think of the Mad Rapper. How will he cope with this bombshell?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Good.

I hope he tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Let that be an end to it.

I love George and always will.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Good man.

You take your time to come to terms with this, and I'll be ready to accept your apology once you've done so. :wink:
  • Thoughts on how a George admission will play out with the US public in terms of his public image and perception?

Aside from a minority who will be hurt/affronted/betrayed/personally damaged beyond repair (delete as appropriate), and after all that's gone before starting with Hamilton's TV i/v last year, and compared to the Great Shock of Lance, most people to be generally accepting and forgiving?
  • Thoughts on how a George admission will play out with the US public in terms of his public image and perception?

Aside from a minority who will be hurt/affronted/betrayed/personally damaged beyond repair (delete as appropriate), and after all that's gone before starting with Hamilton's TV i/v last year, and compared to the Great Shock of Lance, most people to be generally accepting and forgiving?

Outside of cycling circles I doubt it will even register. Within cycling circles nobody will be very surprised.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2012
    Thoughts on how a George admission will play out with the US public in terms of his public image and perception?

Outside of cycling circles I doubt it will even register. Within cycling circles nobody will be very surprised.[/quote

Ah, I had this idea that George was reasonably well-known as an athlete in terms of mainstream over there. So the ramifications really would just be more whacking big nails in Lance's coffin?

Outside of cycling circles I doubt it will even register. Within cycling circles nobody will be very surprised.

It would be more surprising if he hadnt. I would if faced with the prospect of the tour
  • Jez mon
    I think if he had confessed before the USADA investigation result was announced, it would have been a big deal, as it is, I think it'll register as a bit of a blip in the sporting world. Possibly, it may convince a few of those who had believed in Lance, but maybe not.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    andyp wrote:
    Good man.

You take your time to come to terms with this, and I'll be ready to accept your apology once you've done so. :wink:

I wouldn't hold your breath ;)

When have I ever been in denial? Have a look at the end of the George Hincapie Retires thread and I stated there that I believe he probably doped. It changes nothing. But don't confuse that with me condoning it because I'm not and never would.

I'm not a fair weather fan though - he's always going to be No.1 for me.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    A major fraud -- Lance, the Hog, and George. An unholy trinity.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    What George doped? I can't believe it. I guess actually he didn't dope, but to shut up those pesky non-believers he'll pretend he doped just to make it all go away.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    iainf72 wrote:
    Say what you like about the Asylum, they do have some complete gold from time to time

That place is mental.

The amount of unbridled hatred towards Lance Armstrong is insane.

He just cheated a bike racing for goodness sake. He's not the Antichrist.

I feel dirty every time I look in there.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I've always avoided links to the Clinic previously but failed this time. That place is proper nuts, at least on here it is just a few loons for whom anyone winning a race is classed as a doper irrespective of any other evidence (real or circumstantial). Over there it would appear it is just a given. What possible pleasure can the get out of the sport with that much of a cynical attitude?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Pross wrote:
    I've always avoided links to the Clinic previously but failed this time. That place is proper nuts, at least on here it is just a few loons for whom anyone winning a race is classed as a doper irrespective of any other evidence (real or circumstantial). Over there it would appear it is just a given. What possible pleasure can the get out of the sport with that much of a cynical attitude?

Tinfoil brigade innit?

Those who bat for both sides, do tempt the more informed/connected over here.

Surely the idea of more reasoned debate and an average IQ over 30 should be enough to get them to post here occasionally?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    guinea wrote:

But your happy with reading the clinic. That's a very strange 21 shillings you have there. !

The Dirt is to be found in Texas & Colorado.

All I ask is to put a heavy line on the Tour winner for 1999 to 2005 as they have for 2006
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • guinea wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That place is mental.

I know what you mean...

"Fifty PEDs of Grey"

*scurries off to starting writing new bestseller*
  • guinea wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

That place is mental.

I think it's just because of the way that Armstrong's handled himself over the years. Lawyers at every turn, the contempt he seems to hold people in, Bassons/Simeoni, etc.

Having said all that, I do hope that some sort of general amnesty gets called, because sadly I can see lives being lost otherwise. Many athletes get their sense of worth from the adulation of the crowd. If the amount of spite that's currently doing the rounds starts to get concentrated on people at a particularly vulnerable point, we might see coffins. Even hard-cases get depressed, and depressed people do unpredictable things...

We don't need another Pantini.