Tour 2013 Route

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Strongly rumoured that the 100th edition will involve the Ventoux and a double ascent of the Alpe! Sounds fantastic, wonder how it will suit Wiggo.
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Loads of info in this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12867623
  • Wiggo's said that he's taking 5 weeks off and then he's back onto the training. Ventoux and 2 ascents of the Alpe - pah. Erm...yeah..pah!

Is is wrong to be getting excited with 9 months to go?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Is is wrong to be getting excited with 9 months to go?

Absolutely not.
  • Today's dubious rumour:
    A3phCYoCAAAMoLT.png:large
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • That looks like a fun route. Doubt it's that accurate though.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • If it is accurate..all media already writing in their 2013 diaries...'Do NOT go on the lash on 8th Jul...'
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    “Today’s dubious rumour” doesn’t fully match Velowire’s rumoured route, which today is still about the same as it was on 11 Sept (see two-thirds down on viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12867623&start=60),
    except it now has stage 9 much more into the Pyrenees (Saint-Girons to Bagnères-de-Bigorre)

One major difference between “Today’s dubious rumour” and Velowire’s idea is where Ventoux will fit in, near the start or near the finish of the Tour. The Le Dauphiné Libéré newspaper is reporting where it thinks the Tour will go based on Velowire’s suspicions.

There was also a media report today that the Col de Sarenne above Alpe d’Huez was being resurfaced, thus reinforcing the idea that the Alpe would be climbed twice - after the first ascent, the riders going over the Sarenne down to Lac du Chambon, then back to Bourg and up the Alpe again.
    Not that there's much other choice of route for this to happen.
  • Finishing on a 15km ITT looks fairly dubious to me.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    knedlicky wrote:
    “Today’s dubious rumour” doesn’t fully match Velowire’s rumoured route, which today is still about the same as it was on 11 Sept (see two-thirds down on viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12867623&start=60),
    except it now has stage 9 much more into the Pyrenees (Saint-Girons to Bagnères-de-Bigorre)

One major difference between “Today’s dubious rumour” and Velowire’s idea is where Ventoux will fit in, near the start or near the finish of the Tour. The Le Dauphiné Libéré newspaper is reporting where it thinks the Tour will go based on Velowire’s suspicions.

There was also a media report today that the Col de Sarenne above Alpe d’Huez was being resurfaced, thus reinforcing the idea that the Alpe would be climbed twice - after the first ascent, the riders going over the Sarenne down to Lac du Chambon, then back to Bourg and up the Alpe again.
    Velowire is normally very reliable, but i do find this a strange route, particularly missing out Bordeaux when it seems the route visits all the other 1903 TdF cities. Doesn't make sense. The different predictions are way more all over the place than normally at this stage.
    http://www.velowire.com/article/657/en/ ... ties-.html
  • esspeebee wrote:
    Finishing on a 15km ITT looks fairly dubious to me.

Made for a pretty memorable finish in '89 :wink:

The problem is that a final stage TT only really works as a spectacle if the GC is close as it was in 1989 or as it was in this years Giro. At least with a sprint you a guaranteed a genuine battle for the win.

Cavendish wouldn't be happy.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I'm pretty sure there is a Toulouse start and finish near by - so the Montpellier to Perpignan transfer seems odd
  • knedlicky wrote:

Other way round. Velowire's route got a big alpine update this week in response to the 2 articles in the dauphine.
    There's not really any point trusting any attempts other than velowire at figuring the route out in advance. He's on the money every year, and his system (of what/who to trust and when) is way better than any one else's (basically just browsing the internet and collating the rumours you like).
  • OK, wrong Tour and a bit late with this, but....
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2013-gi ... in-brescia

However, I posted that because of the news just in.
    Last Saturday stage will finish at the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, officially confirmed! :)
  • Double ascent of the Alpe would fit in with the rumours of the last couple of years that the Col De Sarenne will be used. Although Bjarne will probably have it called off on the day.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • OK, I know what stage plaine, montagne, ITT and TTT are, but what is an accidentee? Is this the kinda stage Frank Schleck and Denis Menchov will be dreading?
  • OK, I know what stage plaine, montagne, ITT and TTT are, but what is an accidentee? Is this the kinda stage Frank Schleck and Denis Menchov will be dreading?

Chute! stages...alternatively 'hilly'
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Surely they wouldn't end the 100th Tour with a bloody ITT?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    They should do something different for the last stage. An individual 300m sprint or a short hill climb or something.
  • They should do something different for the last stage. An individual 300m sprint or a short hill climb or something.

It's gotta finish on the Champs Elysees thought, hasn't it?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Today's dubious rumour:
    A3phCYoCAAAMoLT.png:large

I really hope stage 19 is as detailed there, we'll be staying in a chalet at the foot of the Col de Joux Plane, and I bet if they really are going from Grand Bornand to Morzine-Avoriaz, they'll go via Joux Plane then up Joux Verte to Avoriaz.

A stage featuring Joux Plane is long overdue, and it featured in the Dauphine this year. Here's hoping!
  • The penultimate stage ITT (velowire, dauphine libere) will be great. Semnoz/Cret de Chatillon is a serious climb.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    ITT up Ventoux...showcase it for all its worth and sort the men from the boys....love it
  • Would they have a TT on Bastille Day? Can't have the guaranteed french rider in a break can you?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Full profiles etc is now up on Steephill.tv
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Perhaps this is the simplest option. All on the same page,
    just select and click to enlarge:

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=62457

Seems Cav has posted his letter to Santa early this year.
    About 9 possible stages within his scope.
    Clearly intermediate has a totally different meaning in France, to that in Italy.

For all the hype, another Wiggins friendly course, too.

Expectation settings to minimum and hope for the odd surprise, I think.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Stages 2 & 3 in Corsica could present more opportunities for shenanigans than the usual early days in Northern France...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Pretty lumpy second half...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Perhaps this is the simplest option. All on the same page,
    just select and click to enlarge:

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=62457

Seems Cav has posted his letter to Santa early this year.
    About 9 possible stages within his scope.
    Clearly intermediate has a totally different meaning in France, to that in Italy.

For all the hype, another Wiggins friendly course, too.

Expectation settings to minimum and hope for the odd surprise, I think.

Only 62k of ITT , 15 on the last day,so not sure how its Wiggins friendly. Seems fairly well balanced to me. Something for every style of rider if they make the most of there opportunities.
    Just hope the weather improves, its been a cold wet spring here in the Haute Garonne and I would hate it to end up like the Giro. Bloody climate change.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Ooh, thanks. I've been waiting for these.

It's not particularly Wiggins friendly but the suggestion was that it would be totally not suited to him. That's clearly not the case. An in-form Wiggins would certainly be competitive on this course.

I like the route. It has the potential to give us an exciting race.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The more Wiggo friendly the better - will wind up the Froome v Wiggo nonsense to an even greater frenzy! :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.