Looking at Maxxis Ignitors

ben11
ben11 Posts: 103
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am currently running conti mountain king 2.2 (black chilli) RS and have found them a bit twitchy, especially at Cannock on the smooth rocks and not so much Sherwood pines, so having read all the various opinions no one seems to have a bad word about Ignitors so id like to try them.

They different specs and weight have left me confused though, these are the specs of the 2.35 from the maxxis website;
26X2.35 ( 52-559 ) Black 120 FOLDABLE 835g DUAL 60 eXC/LUST/UST
26X2.35 ( 52-559 ) Black 60 WIRE 775g SINGLE 65
26X2.35 ( 52-559 ) Black 60 FOLDABLE 770g SINGLE 65 EXO
26X2.35 ( 52-559 ) Black 60 FOLDABLE 690g SINGLE 65

Here are the scotbycycles spec

Tech Details Size 26 x 2.35 ( 52-559 ) TPI 120 Bead FOLDING Weight 555g Compound eXC/KEVLAR Max PSI 65 Extras KEVLAR
Taken from;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxxis-Ignito ... 20c63dbccc

Have scotbycycles got it wrong?

I'm planning on using the Ignitor up front, good idea? Rear recommendation?

Cheers.

Comments

• UST tyres are way heavier than non-UST so the weights quoted are probably the correct manufacturers figures...which means the tyres will probably be a completely different weight and size to this :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use them both ends all year.
    Get the Exception (soft compound) for the front. I use those on the rear as well, but quite happy with the standard ones as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't weigh them though - they are plenty light enough for me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ben11
    What sizes do you run? I'm thinking 2.35 Front 2.1 Rear
  • cooldad
    Normally 2.1 but I got a set of 2.35 cheap so currently the chunkier ones.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I would doubt that the 2.35's weigh 555g, the ones on the maxxis site sound more accurate. For the stones at cannock a good soft compound front tyre is a must, conti's black chili rubber queens and mountain kings are meant to be good round there. Personally I run Schwalbe Nobby nics in the 2.25 size and have just switched to the Gatestar 4cross compound, initial impressions are fantastic, light at around 640g, which for a tough soft compound tyre is great I think. They're currently on sale on Bike-discount.de for £26 each, so a great tyre at a great price too
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've been running Ignitors in 2.1 flavour for a couple years now and really like them. I think they're a great all round tyre. Used them all over the place from loamy woodland to rocky trails. Just picked up a new 2.35 today to see what that's like.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I had wired oem Ignitors on mine when I bought it and hated them. Must get round to trying a pair of folding but still think my old favourite Nevegals take some beating for fit and forget tyres.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • ben11
    Found this, thought id post it for people interested in tire weights.

http://www.justridingalong.com/news/tag/weighed/
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    just to add, i used to run ignitors, but when i came to buying new ones i found they were expensive. so i went for continental verticals which are nearly identical tread pattern and quite a bit cheaper :D
  • What the hell does a "twitchy" tyre mean?
  • ben11
    What the hell does a "twitchy" tyre mean?
    they felt on the limit of grip when not riding hard in the slightest, I guess I felt "twitchy"

twitchy [ˈtwɪtʃɪ]
    adj
    nervous, worried, and ill-at-ease

make sense?
  • ben11
    welshkev wrote:
    just to add, i used to run ignitors, but when i came to buying new ones i found they were expensive. so i went for continental verticals which are nearly identical tread pattern and quite a bit cheaper :D
    Ignitors are on offer £20 at chain reaction :)
  • welshkev
    ben11 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Ignitors are on offer £20 at chain reaction :)

I paid £26 for a pair of verticals from www.nextdaytyres.com :wink:

but they are the wire beaded ones, i think the others are only £19 each...but you'd have to check. that is a good price for ignitors though
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Im feeling your pain with MKs. I didnt like them at all.

Havent tried Ignitors, but have big love for Minions DHF, in 60a flavour. Have been using them for about a year now and they are just immense in terms of grip in most conditons. When i rode MBR it was like a river towards the bottom and the tyres didnt even flinch. I ride at Cannock quite a bit as well and they perform really well around the Monkey.

Prob dont roll as well as the Ignitors tho
  • welshkev
    DCR00 wrote:

Havent tried Ignitors, but have big love for Minions DHF, in 60a flavour. Have been using them for about a year now and they are just immense in terms of grip in most conditons. When i rode MBR it was like a river towards the bottom and the tyres didnt even flinch. I ride at Cannock quite a bit as well and they perform really well around the Monkey.

no they don't, minions are great tyres, i have a minion and a high roller on my other bike - so grippy, but i do notice the difference compared to ignitors on some climbs :D
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    welshkev wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

no they don't, minions are great tyres, i have a minion and a high roller on my other bike - so grippy, but i do notice the difference compared to ignitors on some climbs :D

i hate climbing anyway. No tyre is going to change that :lol:
  • jairaj
    welshkev wrote:

+1
    My friend runs Conti Verticals and they look exactly the same as my Maxis Ignitor. I know they probably use different rubber compounds but I bet the performance is very similar. Personally I'd go for which ever one is the cheapest.

Also weighed my brand new 2.35 Ignitors one was 764g and the other 785g.
  • ben11
    jairaj wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

+1
    My friend runs Conti Verticals and they look exactly the same as my Maxis Ignitor. I know they probably use different rubber compounds but I bet the performance is very similar. Personally I'd go for which ever one is the cheapest.

you must have 70a's then.
    the 62a's should be in the 500s according to the link i posted previously
  • lawman
    ben11 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

+1

The lightest ignitor's on the maxxis site are 690g, I think the link you posted must be wrong. 500g or so is bloody light for a 2.35 tyre, not many about afaik, and certainly not from maxxis!
  • ben11
    lawman wrote:
    ben11 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

+1

The lightest ignitor's on the maxxis site are 690g, I think the link you posted must be wrong. 500g or so is bloody light for a 2.35 tyre, not many about afaik, and certainly not from maxxis!

This one;

"Ignitor Exception 62a 2.35 - 579- 598g (2 weighed) average of 589g"

Looks like they actually weighed them.
  • jairaj
    oh didn't notice that link earlier. Will double check the tyres when I get home but the CRC invoice says
    CRC wrote:
    (1) Maxxis Tyres - MTB 26" Ignitor FR Folding Tyre - Exception 26 x 2.35 - 60a

Mine have "FR" in the name. Maybe I've got some slightly stronger version? I just assumed all the 2.35 were "FR" versions and the 1.9 and 2.1 versions were "XC". I couldn't find a 2.35 XC version.

Either way its not a bad weight for a 2.35 tyre costing £20 each.
  • lawman
    ben11 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    ben11 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

+1

This one;

Wow, didn't think they would be that light! Just seemed abit off that every other 2.35 was circa 7-800g and those came out so light, and other sites quote similar for the ignitor, I know a friends folding 2.1's came out around 550g, something just doesnt add up as to why the ignitors would be close to 150g lighter than an equivilant sized high roller
  • ben11
    lawman wrote:
    ben11 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    ben11 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

+1

This one;

Wow, didn't think they would be that light! Just seemed abit off that every other 2.35 was circa 7-800g and those came out so light, and other sites quote similar for the ignitor, I know a friends folding 2.1's came out around 550g, something just doesnt add up as to why the ignitors would be close to 150g lighter than an equivilant sized high roller

It's all in the 62a / eXC and being NON ust or lust, I guess I've answered my own question in the OP now haha,That link i found is really useful! bookmarked!

As for the high rollers, that website doesn't list a 62a eXC high roller in 2.35, although it does in 2.1

High roller 2.1 Kevlar 120tpi 62a eXC: average weight 481g