Hardshell Outdoor Jacket - Mountain Walking ?

jejv
jejv Posts: 566
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I have a Columbia Titanium jacket that was quite awesome - very tough (tarmac resistant) - durable (used it nearly daily for about 10 years), quite waterproof, and had a hood with a rigid peak that only left my eyes uncovered (good in horizontal hail at -15'C).

Eventually, the zips started failing.

Replaced it with a Paramo Alta. Not happy. In the rain, the Alta is like wearing a sponge. Lightweight outer fabric is holed by the slightest campfire spark. Hood is floppy, with not enough face coverage in high winds.

Columbia doesn't seem to do anything like my old jacket.

Looking at Keela Munro.

Any other ideas ?

Weight not an issue. Robustness is main thing. Then waterproofness, hood coverage, and ventilation.

Comments

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    http://www.hikeradar.com

Some good reviews there.
    Rules are for fools.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Check the sales on Sportpursuit.

I just got a Marmot shell to replace my Marmot pac-lite. I've noticed that they have had sales by the likes of Haglof recently so it's very good stuff at some decent discounts.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive got a Bergahus Mera Peak from years ago, it gets retreated once a year an is always good to go

in the winter i zip a fleece into it

i dunno what the new mera's are like but mine is sweet
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Asprilla wrote:
    Check the sales on Sportpursuit.
    [...]

Very much this ^^, but factor in the three week or so wait between ordering & receiving.

Marmot is very good kit- my wife still uses her decade+ old gear.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Waddlie wrote:
    :D That should exist, shouldn't it.

Thought I'd ask, 'cos there seem to be a few people round here who do walking on hills.

Hmm. Haglöfs, you say.

Bergahus Mera Peak - classic. Could maybe go for someting a bit longer though.
  • Arcteryx FTW. Expensive but worth every penny. http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I've had some good deals out of Go Outdoors recently.

New 3-in-1 winter jacet, RRP £150, GO list price £135, best price on internet £99, GO price match +10% got it for £89.10.

Had similar tale with Scarpa ZG65 boots earlier in the year (which, if you're after decent lightweight boots are outstanding).

Arc'Teryx are indeed superb but not being a millionaire are normally out of my budget.
    Rules are for fools.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Rab make some well-priced jackets, using the Event fabric as an alternative to Gore-Tex.

The higher end Arc'teryx stuff, the pieces made in Canada rather than China, is outstanding but eyewatering expensive.
  • Gussio wrote:
    ...using the eVent fabric as an alternative to Gore-Tex.

Sorry for being a pedant, but I've fixed that for you...