Prolonging bearing life

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a Trance X3 back in late Feb and have just had a complete bearing replacement at about £160. Was hoping for a warranty replacement as first realised I had a problem at the first service (bike about 3-4 months old) as I had a squeaking frame that was eventually worked out as bearings. LBS said that if it had been one or two bearings that warranty might be on the cards but unlikely to be a fault as it was all of them (inc. headset).

That said they couldn’t give me a reason why they may have gone. I ride a couple of times a week for 2/3 hours a time and most of the rides have been wet to very wet. I don’t pressure wash my bike but do use a normal garden hose after every ride to wash off any mud before cleaning (with Fenwicks). LBS suggested that a quick squirt of GT85 after a wash on each bearing may help displace water but I have since heard that GT85 might not be good for the rubber seals.

Don’t really want to buying a new set of bearings every 6 months so interested in thoughts?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    sandy771 wrote:
    ...do use a normal garden hose after every ride to wash off any mud before cleaning...
    imho this is where you're going wrong.

Water will eventually remove all traces of lube - it's not called the Universal Solvent for nothing - and will find its way into places that no external lube can get to.

If it's any help, when the dirt and mud dries it brushes off easily with and old paintbrush.

My Cannondale Rize was assembled almost completely dry and despite rarely washing it, it still needed new bearings after 6-9 months. Since I replaced the bearings and made sure they were properly lubed before they went in, it hasn't needed any more attention in over two years it runs and feels very sweet.

If the bike needs any work I just clean the section I'm going to be working on.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mine lasted a good four years with no special care so...
    There are bearing sets on Ebay (Kaese on STW, can't remember his Ebay name but comes up in a search) - good quality and cost about £25. Take an hour or so to fit.
    Much cheaper.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sorry for the highjack,

how do u tell the bearings are/have "dried up" ? a grinding type sound ? and how can i tell what bearings i would need? cannot find anything anywhere that tells me.
  • Yes grinding and play tells you they are done. You look on the part maker's webby for the sizes ect.
  • Another highjack, sorry.

Just done my first summer on my first full suss (Trek Session 8) I am getting a squeaking from the main pivot (I think) but all very tight i.e. no play. One of the hire shops over here said the bearings will just need to be greased and not replaced if there's no play. Does this sound like sound advice?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ...btw - that wasn't meant to be a " 8) " it was meant to be "Trek Session 8"

Trek Session 8
  • Yes grinding and play tells you they are done. You look on the part maker's webby for the sizes ect.

cheers, im going wup em out and measure em then.

Just done my first summer on my first full suss (Trek Session 8) I am getting a squeaking from the main pivot (I think) but all very tight i.e. no play. One of the hire shops over here said the bearings will just need to be greased and not replaced if there's no play. Does this sound like sound advice?

Yes, try and force some grease in.

Yes, try and force some grease in.

OK. Cheers. I just use TF2 Bike Grease "with Teflon Surface Protector" - is there something more suitable? Some kind of penetrating grease that would work it's way in?

Trek Session 8
  • Not really, just strip it back and force it in with your fingers using the hydro pressure
  • cooldad
    Best way is to take the cover off the side, sometimes a bit of a bugger to put back though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • use a very fine edge to pop the rubber seals off, pack both sides with grease, seals back on,
    do this with all my bearings, they have minimum on from the factory,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bit posh, but something like this to get the cover off

https://mercedessource.com/node/9345

then just wodge in as much grease as you can, I use a 50ml syringe to get it right in.

grease is good, moving parts love it
  • Tbh I didn't even know that those bearing could be taken apart (by hand) :oops:

Trek Session 8
  • Unless its got Metal seals no reason why not! Quite often you'll get metal sheild on the outer edge of the bearing, rubber on the inside, (a lot of the scooter bearings seem to be this way!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    Mine lasted a good four years with no special care so...
    There are bearing sets on Ebay (Kaese on STW, can't remember his Ebay name but comes up in a search) - good quality and cost about £25. Take an hour or so to fit.
    Much cheaper.

This is the fella, mad as a box of tartan frogs but he knows his bearings and every time I have bought bearings off him they arrived within 2 dayshttp://stores.ebay.co.uk/KaTec-Bikes
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    That's the guy, sells good stuff, knows his sh1t, and posts really rubbish videos on Youtube showing you how to do different bikes. (the advice etc is good, the vids are a bit wonky though - mine didn't actually focus on the bits he was working on but the soundtrack was great)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools