Is it dangerous to bolt your turbo trainer to the ground?

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited September 2012 in Road general
I have secured my turbo (in my garage) to the ground using webbing and bolts. This is to stop it rocking, and to allow me to ride it standing up. I would only do this in short bursts.

But my question is... Will this put pressure on the rear skewer? Is there a chance I could damage the rear wheel? It won't move very much at all, a matter of millimetres, but is this enough to cause damage?

The booklet doesn't make mention of not doing this...
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• I get worried enough about the frame stress without bolting the turbo to the ground :shock:

If you want to ride it standing up then I'd suggest shelling out for one of the fancy ones that rock side-to-side.

(also some manufacturers go as far as to say you shouldn't use their frame on a turbo because of the stresses-> I think Look is one of those.. might have dreamt it though!)
  • I use an old steel skewer on the turbo. Pretty sure with the turbo I use, it recommended it's use. Also prevents any damage to any lightweight skewers.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    probably not... but in my case, I have to setup my Sartori here, there and everywhere..
    I use an old Alex rim rear wheel and knackrd old tyre and the heavyduty TACX skewer
    i dont fret about the frame at all.
    I can get out of the saddle on low resistance for 10 seconds or so to just move about a bit.. but when I need to follow a high power requirement on Trainer Road can get into a big gear and accelerate out of the saddle without too much fuss and then get seated again. I dont do a lot of out of saddle work on the road anyway.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Can't imagine it being dangerous, but I think there is a disadvantage in securing it down; that is, you may not concentrate as much to keep your technique smooth.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Can't see any problem in bolting it down except you can't move it easily!

Re skewer/wheel. I think standing up puts more stress on chainstays as when its clamped in turbo the wheel cannot flex as it does when riding normally on the road.
  • I'd worry a less about the rear wheel and skewer and more about the rear triangle (BB to fixed axle rather than one which can rock with the frame). I don't think bolting the trainer to the floor will make much difference though (I'd like to think you weren't rocking it enough to lift the corners of the trainer before??) so I'd imagine you'll be fine.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I'd worry a less about the rear wheel and skewer and more about the rear triangle (BB to fixed axle rather than one which can rock with the frame). I don't think bolting the trainer to the floor will make much difference though (I'd like to think you weren't rocking it enough to lift the corners of the trainer before??) so I'd imagine you'll be fine.
    The only time it rocked was if I stood up and peddled. I'm not planning on doing much standing up so it is just to allow me the possibility to stand up to adjust if I want to.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac