Shrunk Merino Wool Jumper as Baselayer?

littleprawn
littleprawn Posts: 135
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

Not posted for a while but my commuting and general biking has improved. Recently, I passed my 1000 mile in ten months of restarting my cycling! I hope to carry the bike commuting through the autumn and winter and have my lights and slowly building up my winter wardrobe and hope to use the Trek with its mudguards once I get a rear cassette and chain replaced.

I have an old long sleeved jumper, 100% merino wool which shrank in the wash last year and is too small/tight to wear for normal occasions. I presume I can resurrect the usage of it as a base layer? I guess best way is to try it some day.....
Do merino jumpers take longer to dry out after a cycling session than conventional synthetic materials.

Also, How much would would a local lbs charge to change a rear cassette and chain for my hybrid? (I know I should buy a stand and tool, chain tool etc....this is to save for the next year).

Thanks for reading and also for those who encouraged me to carry on my commuting when I had my fall back in May.
Cannondale CAADX 5 105
Trek T10

Comments

• CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    I've not had any problems drying out merino, however for some reason it seems to small of wet dog when it gets damp. Suck it and see I guess. Wrt costs, a new cassette and chain, at a guess, should come in under 50 quid at your lbs, depending on what components you buy. Might want to invest in a chain stretch measuring tool so in future you know when to change the chain before the cassette starts to go.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Merino for base layers should be superfine grade to prevent itching. If you use coarser grades (such as merino jumpers), expect itching.
    Some Merino info from my favourite baselayer brand.
  • CJ Bill wrote:
    I've not had any problems drying out merino, however for some reason it seems to small of wet dog when it gets damp. Suck it and see I guess. Wrt costs, a new cassette and chain, at a guess, should come in under 50 quid at your lbs, depending on what components you buy. Might want to invest in a chain stretch measuring tool so in future you know when to change the chain before the cassette starts to go.

Thanks, will feed back once Trek has a new drive train.
    MichaelW wrote:
    Merino for base layers should be superfine grade to prevent itching. If you use coarser grades (such as merino jumpers), expect itching.
    Some Merino info from my favourite baselayer brand.

Will try the jumper and let you know how it fares and it probably will itch! :?
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10