Kingston to the City

paolo73
paolo73 Posts: 27
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all, first post on this forum so please excuse if this subject has been flogged to death already, but i've recently started riding from Surbiton into London Bridge for work and I'm trying to figure out the best route (and by best I mean a few hills for trainin', not too many buses and not overly complex in terms of directions).

The last few weeks I've been going on the A238 through Merton and South Wimbledon and then A24 and A3 through Clapham etc. This takes about an hour but that can be 90mins if the lights are against you and the traffic's backed up. It seems from this and other forums that most people go through the Park and then Lower Richmond Road/New Kings Road and then along Embankment, in fact I don't think I've seen anyone suggest the route that I currently use!

My question is, is the Putney route really that much better, and why?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Hi, I cycle from surbiton to canary wharf and take the richmond park - putney bridge - embankment route. To be honest the more direct route for you is to head up south of the river but i wouldn't. The route through the park is very well used by cyclists, riding through the park (especially in winter) is a lovely way to start and end the day and embankment is long, straight, wide and and has comparatively few traffic lights. Give it a try, you probably find it quicker overall.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Thanks Koncordski, I think i'll give the Embankment route a try tomorrow and see how I find it. I can definitely see the attraction of riding through the park, plus it gives the opportunity for a few cheeky extra laps now and then to get the miles up.
    Going all the way to Canary Wharf you must be logging the thick end of 200 miles a week?
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    Koncordski wrote:
    Hi, I cycle from surbiton to canary wharf and take the richmond park - putney bridge - embankment route. To be honest the more direct route for you is to head up south of the river but i wouldn't. The route through the park is very well used by cyclists, riding through the park (especially in winter) is a lovely way to start and end the day and embankment is long, straight, wide and and has comparatively few traffic lights. Give it a try, you probably find it quicker overall.

+1

I cycle from Surbiton to Waterloo and used to go via CS7 but switched to going the Richmond park, Putney and embankment way a few months ago. The difference is huge, it's a much more pleasant route, and I'd say safer. It's a bit longer for me but seems to be slightly quicker. (less lights and traffic I guess)
  • I've always done the Richmond Park, then Embankment route. Cycling through the park is the best part of my day - and the Embankment, joining it from the very top of the New Kings Road is - as already mentioned - straight and wide. It's quite good fun too for a commuting ride. I recently used this route to commute from Kingston all the way to the Olympic Park in Stratford as outlined here: http://adventuresontwowheels.blogspot.c ... tures.html
    Have fun.
    FCN - 3 (hairy-legged roadie)
    FCN - 6 (single speed)

http://adventuresontwowheels.blogspot.com/
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    paolo73 wrote:
    Thanks Koncordski, I think i'll give the Embankment route a try tomorrow and see how I find it. I can definitely see the attraction of riding through the park, plus it gives the opportunity for a few cheeky extra laps now and then to get the miles up.
    Going all the way to Canary Wharf you must be logging the thick end of 200 miles a week?

Yeah, let us know how you get on. I do clock up the mileage, just shy of 40 miles a day usually. Not this week as i got punted off the bike by a car on monday night. Managed to pick up nothing worse than a small amount of whiplash and the bike isn't damaged. Don't let that put you off the route though, it could have happened anywhere. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Guys thanks for all the replies, and Koncordski that sucks that you've had a spill, but at least you're still walking, I guess it can happen any time and anywhere. Surely an excuse to buy a new bike though despite the lack of damage?!

Well, I've been on the Park/Embankment route for the last few days and let me tell you I don't miss Elephant and Castle one bit, as you guys have all said it is FAR more of a pleasure to be in the park and along the river in the morning, and it does seem faster which must be because there are fewer lights, but the peletons are also way smaller which saves time as well, and there are a few fast lads to latch onto to get the average up.
    Now I'm a total convert and I'll be singing the praises of the new route, or maybe I won't just in case it gets too crowded! ;-)
  • Hi guys,

I'm currently doing Merton to Canary Wharf using the super highway from Colliers Wood, but the Embankment route sounds loads better. Just wondering what route you use between New King's Road and Embankment itself, do you turn down to the river as soon as poss and just go all the way along or straight up the Kings Road?

Cheers!
  • I have become a total Embankment convert, it's just a lot more pleasant than the A24!!
    When you go across Putney Bridge hang a right onto New Kings Road and carry on past Eel Brook Common until you get to the Worlds End estate and then it's a right turn on Edith Grove down onto the Embankment. At least that's what I do, however I'm new to the area so I may be off piste from those with more experience....
  • Yes turn right at Edith Grove. Join the fun - and get off the lethal NKR - as soon as possible.
  • paolo73
    paolo73 Posts: 27
    Have you tried the new route yet honeybadger?

I got collected by some toff on a scooter on Lower Richmond Road last friday which was annoying, casually pulled across in front of a car into the stream of bike traffic without so much as a glance over his shoulder, luckily I anticipated it so the crash was low speed and the jeans prevented any road rash. I was slightly annoyed I hadn't damaged his scooter so was considering cleating it for good measure but he seemed to be more upset about the accident than me so I let him off.

Idiots everywhere, hopefully they'll go underground when the weather gets really bad.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think the big decision is whether you head West to Goole and turn South there or go straight over the Humber Bridge which might allow a shorter trip but with potentially risky high winds.

A long ride though :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Haven't had a chance yet, work have kindly been posting me all over the country for the last couple of weeks. All back to normal next week though, will give it a shot then.

Hopefully won't bump into any charming young men on scooters though, hope you were ok!