another bearing q.

castlelad
castlelad Posts: 414
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Now i know theres a thread already but i dont want to highjack it again.

my problem is......when i pick the back end up and spin the wheel , it doesnt spin freely for aslong as it used to.Now my thinking is bearings, yeah ? or no ?..........well ive had a fiddle(snigger :wink: ) and taken 9 from one side(disc) and 8 from the other(sprocket) is this right ? definately none to be found where i was fiddling..i aint got any new bearings yet as i dont know what size i need.Iam going to measure etc etc..i would like to fix it myself but ive got a horrible feeling...I've fecked up already..it's the mongoose and the warranty has ran out. she's 14 month old...but im assuming bearings wouldnt be covered anyhoo.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cone and cup? - read Parktools - easy to service, take a few minutes. They don't wear out fast, just need a bit of grease and adjusting.
    Sounds like you've lost a ball inside the hub as well.
    See read this first link below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Cone and cup? - read Parktools - easy to service, take a few minutes. They don't wear out fast, just need a bit of grease and adjusting.
    Sounds like you've lost a ball inside the hub as well.
    See read this first link below.

cheers. ive checked for missing balls, but "dave's " getting annoyed now....too much f-ing and blinding apparently :roll:
    so if i re-greece them and put em back in,adjust etc it may solve it ? i'll give it a try and see.

cheers again
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need the right amount though - 9 1/4" each side rear and 10 3/16" each side front.
    You do have cone spanners?
    I've got cup and cone going on 25 yrs old still running fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    You need the right amount though - 9 1/4" each side rear and 10 3/16" each side front.
    Out of curiosity, is that a general rule?
    My saint rear hub most definitely has different amounts (and sizes) each side, and the cones are differing sizes as well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    Out of curiosity, is that a general rule?
    My saint rear hub most definitely has different amounts (and sizes) each side, and the cones are differing sizes as well.
    it was but now things have changed on some hubs but Shimano state this on there exploded views.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown