Training for the Highlands

sway
sway Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Just wondering what you guys think of this kind of hill repeat around Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh.

It's 3 miles, varying from about 5-6% to about 10%. It's the steepest hill near me that has little traffic. I did a few laps last night, and it was tough on my hybrid. It's nothing compared to the Lecht which is about 20% I believe, but that's the kind of thing I'm building towards. I'm just curious how well this kind of route will prepare me for a tour in the Highlands next summer.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Quite well if you do it enough and do it with lots of effort put in. One side of the Lecht is much longer and steeper than the other by the way, easier to do it north to south.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I used to train on it once a week a few yesrs ago. would do six laps in about fifty minutes. funnily enough, i don't think it helped much on the hills, but made me faster on the flats...
  • The Lecht is incredibly steep just from the Hotel at Cockbridge....I believe that it peaks at 27% but it is relatively short and then eases oot. I went over the Lecht heaps of times this summer and never look forward to that bit....never had to stop but often my front wheel would raise from the road surface. Arthurs Seat would be a lot easier but still good practice for the likes of The Lecht, Gairnsheil and say the Cairn O Mount