Proper Old Skool Trek 1400

Gary P
Gary P Posts: 165
edited September 2012 in Your road bikes
Have a look here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24319564@N ... 596964751/

I found this in my local free ads today. It's an early 90's Trek 1400. Easton E9 frame which is beautifully put together as a 'real' hand build by Trek USA when they still did stuff like that. All the welds have been smoothed and the bolts are recessed for the seat pin, brakes etc.

It has a mix of Mavic open CD rims on Shimano 600 hubs (Gatorskin tyres), Ultegra double chain set, 105 brakes, 600 derailleurs, Cinelli bars and stem, Rolls Turbo saddle. Even the paint is in good order and all the bolts. stem, seat post move freely, thankfully.

Really light, really nippy and really tight front end. The toe clips will need to go I feel! Too much overlap...

When I worked in a bike shop in the late 80's/early 90's I hankered after one of these and now I have one. Hurrah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24319564@N04/8012618979/in/set-72157631596964751/

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    WOW, nice paint job.
    Looks like the forks have been bent back
  • Gary P
    I wondered who'd be first to mention that, however...

forks are as they should be. Some manufacturers at the time made forks with really tight front end tolerances. This made them very twitchy and responsive. It wasn't fashionable for long though, unsurprisingly!

I am happy to be corrected but have been over the bike with a fine tooth comb and can't see any sign of damage anywhere around the headstock or forks fortunately.
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Lovely. That cinelli stem is gorgeous.

Bars are at a crazy angle though? Stem a bit long for you?
  • Gary P
    Yes, stem too long so bars adjusted up to accommodate until I can find a replacement stem. It's about 120mm so really needs to be closer to 90mm for me.
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Gary P wrote:
    Yes, stem too long so bars adjusted up to accommodate until I can find a replacement stem. It's about 120mm so really needs to be closer to 90mm for me.

If you're looking for a new one have a look here:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/retro
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gary P wrote:
    I wondered who'd be first to mention that, however...

forks are as they should be. Some manufacturers at the time made forks with really tight front end tolerances. This made them very twitchy and responsive. It wasn't fashionable for long though, unsurprisingly!

Sorry, but that fork looks bent to me too. Have a Google image search and I don't think you'll find any that look like yours.
    I'd look to source a replacement fork. If it was steel I woudn't worry so much but I'm not sure how alloy would take to being stressed like that.

bikebike_009_large.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gary P
    You could be right. Still don't understand why there's no sign of damage anywhere such as paint creasing or flaking though?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Interesting pedal choice on that red one. That fork really does look bent, some times the paint doesn't crack. May explain why you're getting that overlap on the pedals. Apart from that it looks great :-)
  • Gary P
    Have just picked up a beautiful set of Peugeot 531c chrome forks from my LBS for free! God bless Southdown cycles in Storrington. Anyways, they're too long and will need the thread retapping but will look great once cut down and done. Now need to find someone clever enough to do it in the Sussex Area.