Estimating TSS

ollie51
ollie51 Posts: 517
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
When you guys do strength + conditioning sessions what do you do for TSS, or do you just ignore since TSS since it's largely stress on the aerobic system, make an estimation based upon feel, wear a HRM during and use that to estimate it etc?

Comments

• If you get a Training Peaks account and upload your HR with your other data, it will work out TSS and IF for you.
  • HR has absolutely no relation to strength/conditioning TSS.
  • ollie51
    mike101 wrote:
    If you get a Training Peaks account and upload your HR with your other data, it will work out TSS and IF for you.

I know that, but it's not really relevant is it?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    As in what sort of training?, I can't imagine "strength and conditioning" having much in the way of a TSS....
  • Sorry, misunderstood your post. I thought you were trying to estimate TSS as per the subject title and the question. I therefore assumed you didn't know how to get it worked out for you, negating the need to estimate.
  • ollie51
    danowat wrote:
    As in what sort of training?, I can't imagine "strength and conditioning" having much in the way of a TSS....

But if you look at the definition of TSS - "Training Stress Score (TSS) is a composite number that takes into account the duration and intensity of a workout to arrive at a single estimate of the overall training load and physiological stress created by that training session." You could infer, since strength and conditioning does have 'physiological stress' (it does cause your body to adapt) it must therefore accumulate TSS, even if it does differ from the stress accumulated from cycling.

Yeah, sorry Mike, the title is a little ambiguous!
  • ollie51 wrote:
    danowat wrote:

But if you look at the definition of TSS - "Training Stress Score (TSS) is a composite number that takes into account the duration and intensity of a workout to arrive at a single estimate of the overall training load and physiological stress created by that training session." You could infer, since strength and conditioning does have 'physiological stress' (it does cause your body to adapt) it must therefore accumulate TSS, even if it does differ from the stress accumulated from cycling.

Yeah, sorry Mike, the title is a little ambiguous!
    Yes but you left vital information out.
    Requirements to Calculate: powermeter data file containing time series duration and power data, power threshold (FTP) set in Power Zones section of My Settings
  • ollie51
    Zero.

TSS is for cycling.

Thanks!