Boardman Comp as a Cyclocross bike??

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2012 in Amateur race
I'm thinking about doing Cyclocross over the winter and havent had much joy finding a cheapish 2nd hand bike suitable for this. Plus, I dont have room in the garage for another bike, so some sort of compromise will be needed.

I'm looking at the Boardman Comp that is currently on sale at Halfords for £500.

Would this be any good for cyclocross? I'm keen to use a flat barred bike so that I can use it for ordinary pootling with my Mrs, shopping trips etc when not racing.

I've heard that disc brakes are allowed now, but also wondered if anyone else was using this same bike for racing with? Is it too compromised or would it work ok?

Comments

• dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    your talking about the boardman hybrid comp right?

My mate/club mate uses one for Cyclocross - and gets on fine with it.
  • rodgers73
    Yes, thats the one - thanks for that.
  • rodgers73
    Will I be able to fit cyclocross tyres onto the standard 700C wheels that come with it or are those rims wider??
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I believe you should be able to fit 35c onto them, not sure about anything wider.
  • rodgers73
    What's the best size to fit to cover a variety of conditions over a season? (i.e. dry and wet ground)

I'm not buying several sets if I can avoid it
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Race regs for CX are 33mm tyre width maximum but in local league races its not compulsory as you can also ride MTBs. Difference between tyres for wet and dry is the depth and spacing of the tread - go for a tyre more suited to mud if you only have one tyre. Many stock CX bikes have tyres more suited for hard packed trails and clog easily with mud. My rcommendation would be Schwalbe Racing Ralphs as an all rounder.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..